Not following an integral solution

In summary, the third line is not \frac {ln(cosx)} {sinx}+c because dividing by sinx is not necessary to cancel out the extra -sinx when taking the derivative of ln(cosx). Additionally, the negatives do not cancel. This was realized after considering the process of plugging cosx back in for u and du.
SamRoss
Gold Member
In the image below, why is the third line not \frac {ln(cosx)} {sinx}+c ? Wouldn't dividing by sinx be necessary to cancel out the extra -sinx that you get when taking the derivative of ln(cosx)? Also, wouldn't the negatives cancel?

Physics news on Phys.org
SamRoss said:
In the image below, why is the third line not \frac {ln(cosx)} {sinx}+c ? Wouldn't dividing by sinx be necessary to cancel out the extra -sinx that you get when taking the derivative of ln(cosx)? Also, wouldn't the negatives cancel?

I retract my question. I was imagining plugging cosx back in for u and imagining the second line was simply the integral of 1/cosx. Of course I was forgetting that I would also have to plug back in for du also which would in fact give me the sinx back (not to mention being a ridiculous thing to do because it just brings us back where we started).

1. What does it mean to not follow an integral solution?

Not following an integral solution means that the solution or answer to a problem is not a whole number or integer. It may involve using fractions, decimals, or other non-integer values.

2. Why is it important to follow an integral solution in scientific research?

Following an integral solution is important in scientific research because it allows for precise and accurate calculations. It also ensures that the results can be easily replicated and verified by other scientists.

3. What are some common examples of not following an integral solution in science?

Some common examples include using decimal values for measurements, using non-integer values in equations or formulas, and using fractions for ratios or proportions.

4. Are there any situations where not following an integral solution is acceptable?

Yes, there are situations where using non-integer solutions may be acceptable, such as in theoretical or hypothetical scenarios. However, it is important to clearly state and justify the use of these values in the research.

5. How can not following an integral solution impact the validity of scientific findings?

Not following an integral solution can potentially lead to incorrect or inaccurate results, which can impact the validity of scientific findings. It may also make it difficult for other scientists to replicate the research and come to the same conclusions.