Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses the fabrication of a parallel plate capacitor with non-parallel plates in a workshop. The plates have an angle of \alpha and are held at constant potentials V1 and V2, with charges +Q and -Q on them. Parts a-c have been completed and the conversation moves on to parts d and e. Part d requires the use of an integral to find the total charge carried by the plates. Part e asks to show that the capacitance of the capacitor is C = (\epsilon0L)/\alpha *ln(b/a) and whether it has all the usual attributes of a capacitance. The homework equations listed are E=V/d and a hint is given to
Enemy0fGods
1. You have fabricated a parallel plate capacitor in your work shop, but the square metal plates end up not being exactly parallel to each other. They form an angle [tex]\alpha[/tex]. The plates, size L, are held at constant electrical potentials, V1 and V2, corresponding to an electrical potential difference [tex]\Delta[/tex]V = V1 - V2. Plate 1 holds a +Q charge while plate 2 holds a -Q charge.

I'm done with parts a-c, but I need help with these:

d: Find the total charge carried by the plates (Hint: This requires an integral).
e: Show that the value of the capacitance of this capacitor is C = ([tex]\epsilon[/tex]0L)/[tex]\alpha[/tex] *ln(b/a). Does this have all the usual attributes of a capacitance?

[PLAIN]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/220/unledeyr.png

2. Homework Equations : Already listed one, and E=V/d, and the rest I don't know.

3. The Attempt at a Solution : I don't really have an attempt, I'm stuck, all I know is I'm suppose to use an integral with part d, which is already given anyway.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Out of curiosity, what were parts a - c ? & what were your answers to those?

2. Homework Equations : Already listed one, and E=V/d, and the rest I don't know.

What do you mean by "d" ? The distance between the plates varies with x.

for (e)
attachment.php?attachmentid=35351&stc=1&d=1304997425.png

consider the part of capacitor inside red rectangle ... it is also a capacitor.
find capacitance of this capacitor in terms of variables you know and x,dx ...
then integrate ...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,580
and for d
question itself says plate 1 has charge Q and plate 2 has charge -Q
so total charge would be 0 right?

cupid.callin said:
and for d
question itself says plate 1 has charge Q and plate 2 has charge -Q
so total charge would be 0 right?

Perhaps the question meant the charge on each plate in terms of potentials and capacitance.

but why would question ask that
for (d) first you should do e
so d must be placed next to e ... which it is not

1. What is a Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor?

A Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor is a type of electrical component that consists of two plates separated by a non-uniform or curved dielectric material. Unlike a traditional parallel plate capacitor, the plates are not perfectly parallel, resulting in a non-uniform electric field.

2. How does a Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor function?

A Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor functions by storing electrical energy in the electric field between the two plates. The amount of energy stored is directly proportional to the capacitance, which is determined by the distance between the plates and the dielectric constant of the material between them.

3. What are the applications of a Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor?

A Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor has various applications in electrical and electronic devices. It can be used to filter out unwanted signals in circuits, as a sensor in humidity and pressure measurements, and in audio equipment to improve sound quality.

4. How does the non-uniformity of the plates affect the capacitance of a Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor?

The non-uniformity of the plates in a Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor results in a varying electric field, which causes the capacitance to be non-uniform as well. The capacitance is highest where the plates are closest together and decreases as the distance between them increases.

5. What are the advantages of a Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor over a traditional parallel plate capacitor?

A Not-So-Parallel Plate Capacitor has a larger capacitance compared to a traditional parallel plate capacitor with the same plate area and distance between them. It also has a higher breakdown voltage, making it suitable for high voltage applications. Additionally, the non-uniform electric field allows for more precise control of the capacitance compared to a parallel plate capacitor.