Nuclear Beta Decay (Parity, deta[L])

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the parity change and deta (L) for beta decay and classifying different decays according to their degree of forbiddenness. To find the allowed values of L, the angular momentum addition theorem is used. The change in parity can be determined by comparing the parities of the initial and final states, and for parity to be conserved, the product of the parities of the final state and L must equal the initial state's parity. For the first example, the transition is a third forbidden pure Fermi transition with only L=3 allowed. For the next two examples, the transitions are different forbidden transitions and the values of L will differ.
qwerty2010
I do not get the concepts of the parity change and how do I find the deta (l) for beta decay.
Please Help!

Classify the following decays according to their degree of forbiddenness, all ground states decays.

89Sr (5/2+) -> 89Y (1/2-)
26Al (5+) -> 26Mg (2+)
97Zr (1/2+) -> 97Nb (1/2-)

What are theirs change in parity and deta (L)?
How do you calculate it? Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I don't quite remember this but I'll try to explain how you do it for your first reaction.

At the beginning, you can find the allowed values for L ( the orbital angular momentum ) via the angular momentum addition theorem: L = { |J1-J2|,..,|J1+J2|} in integer steps.

As for the parity, for the 1st example you see that there is a change of parity: 5/2+ goes to 1/2-. This will have an effect on the allowed values of L. For parity to be conserved, you need to have:

parity(Sr) = parity(Y)*parity(L).

parity(L)= (-1)^L
Hence you can see that only L=3 works here.
While doing this, I have assumed a Fermi transition ( the electron & neutrino have opposite aligned spins ).

If they for example they have parallel aligned spins, the transition will be Gamow-Teller and for the allowed values of L you will get only 2 ( you subtract 1 from all the values you got for the allowed values of L you got from the addition theorem ).

So that's it I think. Your transition is 3rd forbidden pure Fermi.

Now try for the next two examples and see if it matches with your school work.

What is nuclear beta decay?

Nuclear beta decay is a type of radioactive decay that occurs in unstable atomic nuclei. It involves the conversion of a neutron into a proton or vice versa, with the emission of an electron or positron and a neutrino.

What is the role of parity in nuclear beta decay?

Parity is a quantum mechanical property that describes the symmetry of a system under spatial inversion. In nuclear beta decay, parity is conserved, meaning that the initial and final states must have the same parity.

What is the difference between beta minus and beta plus decay?

Beta minus decay involves the conversion of a neutron into a proton, emitting an electron and an antineutrino. Beta plus decay involves the conversion of a proton into a neutron, emitting a positron and a neutrino.

How does nuclear beta decay affect the stability of an atom?

Nuclear beta decay can change the number of protons and neutrons in an atom, which can significantly alter its stability. Depending on the type and amount of decay, an atom may become more or less stable.

What is the significance of the deta[L] parameter in nuclear beta decay?

The deta[L] parameter is a measure of the angular momentum of the emitted electron or positron in nuclear beta decay. It is related to the direction of the spin of the neutrino, which can provide important information about the weak interaction involved in the decay process.