How Do Protons and Alpha Particles Behave After an Elastic Collision?

In summary: The unknown on the right-hand side is the velocity of the alpha particle after the collision. In summary, the alpha particle's velocity is unknown after a collision with a proton. Conservation of momentum and conservation of energy can be used to solve for the alpha particle's velocity.
bigtymer8700
Collisions between atomic and subatomic particles are usually perfectly elastic. In one such collision, a proton traveling to the right at 274 km/s collides elastically with a stationary alpha particle (a helium nucleus, having mass 6.65×10−27 kg . I am trying to figure out the velocity of after collision for helium nucleus

Ma=?
Mb=6.65 x10-27kg
Vai= 274000m/s

i started off using the cons. of momentum so i got

Ma(274000m/s)+6.65^-27 kg(0 m/s) = MaVaf + Mb+Vbf

i know I am missing a step here to continue working the problem i just can't figure out where

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MaVaf + Mb+Vbf
should be MaVaf + MbVbf, but I presume that is a typo.

Well - one has two unknowns Vaf and Vbf, so one needs two equations.

One is conservation of momentum and the other is conservation of energy.

Now, is one assuming a head on collision without any lateral deflection?

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/colsta.html

But look at Rutherford scattering -

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/rutsca2.html#c4
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/ruthlink.html

yes its a head on collision no lateral deflection. so how would you use the conservation of energy to solve for the unknown of the two equations?

Kinetic energy before = kinetic energy after, similar to conservation of momentum.

274 km/s = 0.000913c, so non-relativistic mechanics is reasonable.

yes so would you then set up 1/2MaVai^2 +1/2MbVbi^2=1/2MaVaf^2+ 1/2MbVbf^2 to get the unknown Mass or velocity?

Last edited:
Yes. One knows the mass of a proton and helium atom (nucleus = alpha particle). Assume the helium atom is stationary, which it should be, otherwise calculate its velocity assuming room temperature.

thats where I am stuck on i have both equations set up but i don't see what i have that can be substituted in for each other. i know its somewhere simple

I have 1/2Ma(274000m/s)^2+ 0 = 1/2MaVaf^2 + 1/2 6.65^-27kg Vbf^2

thats for the conservation of KE

you already see what i have for the cons. of momentum up there i just can't see what unknown i have to isolate first to then solve for it

Start with what one knows.

Besides the mass of the He nucleus (6.65 E-27 kg), one knows the mass of a proton, which is 1.67 E-27 kg. The proton is moving at 2.74 E5 m/s.

One can compute the momentum (mv) and kinetic energy (1/2mv2) of the proton. The values are 0 for the He nucleus.

Momentum eq: mpvpi= mpvpf + mavaf, where mp is the mass of the proton and ma is the mass of the alpha particle, and i,f subscripts denote initial and final quantities.

Now one could divide the momentum equation by mp and obtain an equation of one unknown velocity in terms of the other, then substitute that into the energy equation.

Energy eq: mpvpi2= mpvpf2 + mavaf2 (the 1/2 factored out)

Similarly, one could divide by mp.

The quantities on the left-hand sides of the momentum and energy equations are known.

1. What is a nuclear collision?

A nuclear collision is a high-energy interaction between two or more atomic nuclei. This can occur in particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, or natural phenomena such as cosmic rays.

2. What happens during a nuclear collision?

During a nuclear collision, the nuclei of atoms are forced into extremely close proximity, causing them to undergo a variety of reactions and transformations. This can include fusion, fission, or the creation of new particles.

3. Are nuclear collisions dangerous?

Nuclear collisions can be dangerous in certain contexts, such as in the case of a nuclear reactor accident. However, controlled nuclear collisions in particle accelerators are closely monitored and pose minimal risk to the surrounding environment.

4. What is the purpose of studying nuclear collisions?

Studying nuclear collisions can provide valuable insights into the fundamental interactions of matter and energy. It can also help scientists understand the origins of our universe and the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. Can nuclear collisions be used for energy production?

Yes, nuclear collisions can be used for energy production through nuclear fission reactions. However, this process must be carefully controlled and managed to avoid potential hazards and environmental impacts.