Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion

In summary: But this assumes that the fissile material are in its usual surrounding of water, etc. There's nothing to say that we can't have it suspended in vacuum and use other methods at harnessing the fission by products. That is exactly the type of mechanism that I was asking about, and why I asked the OP to think about such mechanism.I see your point, but I still think it's worth asking the question since it has not been explored yet. After all, this is a forum about technology, not history.
Ronie Bayron
Why are nuclear plants operate in a secondary steam engine for electrical conversion from nuclear energy, wherein thermal efficiency is less 30% in comparison to direct conversion which should be higher than30%? Is it not possible that nuclear reaction can produce direct electricity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no way to convert one form of energy "directly" into another one.

Ronie Bayron said:
Why are nuclear plants operate in a secondary steam engine for electrical conversion from nuclear energy, wherein thermal efficiency is less 30% in comparison to direct conversion which should be higher than30%? Is it not possible that nuclear reaction can produce direct electricity?

Would you like to offer an explicit "direct" mechanism from nuclear fission to current in a wire, with a back-of-the-envelope efficiency calculation?

Zz.

I am not sure what you mean, but I am wondering why it is uncommon and unexplored.

Ronie Bayron said:
I am not sure what you mean

In science, and especially in physics, as my signature says, you can't just say "what goes up must come down". You must also say when and where it comes down. In other words, "God is in the DETAILS"!

You need to clearly describe the detailed mechanism of the conversion from "fission" to "current in wire". In other words, how do you take the energy out of the fission process, and convert that into electricity in a wire. You claim that there is a direct process and that this can be done. I'd like to know what it is exactly. You simply can't just make a flippant statement that it can and should be done and leave it at that! And here, the "when and where it comes down" means a quantitative analysis that it can be done and it is more efficient. You can't just say it is better, you have to prove it!

, but I am wondering why it is uncommon and unexplored.

Because as of now, there is nothing that we know of that can convert one into the other without going through all the intermediary process? That was why I asked you if you know of such a direct conversion.

Zz.

Likes Ronie Bayron
:smile: got it and if I knew, a forum should not be the right place for it, right? I'll take note of that. Thanks.

I don't know why you got such hostile replies.

In this context, "direct conversion" means "a way to convert kinetic energy of fission fragments to electricity, without intermediate step of turning it into heat".

Direct conversion of *fusion* energy to electricity is being looked at. In particular, polywell proponents have schemes to do so.

For fission, it is not feasible because fission fragments are very easily stopped by matter - even better than alphas. Even if you would have a reactor where fuel is in gas phase, you still will have very hard time preventing most of kinetic energy of reaction products from turning to thermal energy at once.

nikkkom said:
I don't know why you got such hostile replies.

Er.. it may appear "hostile" to you, but that wasn't my intention at all. Rather, it is to ask the OP to clearly dissect the question and figure out what he/she meant by "direct".

In this context, "direct conversion" means "a way to convert kinetic energy of fission fragments to electricity, without intermediate step of turning it into heat".

You don't know that. This is your assumption of what the OP meant as "direct conversion". After all, there are other intermediary steps without just turning it into heat. Maybe this isn't direct enough for the OP either.

Direct conversion of *fusion* energy to electricity is being looked at. In particular, polywell proponents have schemes to do so.

This isn't the topic that was asked, unless you think we already have "nuclear plants" running on fusion, which was what the OP asked about. I didn't bring this up because it is a distraction.

For fission, it is not feasible because fission fragments are very easily stopped by matter - even better than alphas. Even if you would have a reactor where fuel is in gas phase, you still will have very hard time preventing most of kinetic energy of reaction products from turning to thermal energy at once.

But this assumes that the fissile material are in its usual surrounding of water, etc. There's nothing to say that we can't have it suspended in vacuum and use other methods at harnessing the fission by products. That is exactly the type of mechanism that I was asking about, and why I asked the OP to think about such mechanism.

Zz.

nikkkom said:
For fission, it is not feasible because fission fragments are very easily stopped by matter - even better than alphas.
To make it worse, you want to contain and ideally slow down neutrons to get a stable chain reaction, and you want some self-regulation from the neutron moderator. Everything that contains and slows down neutrons slows down fission fragments as well and converts their energy to heat. It's not as simple as suspending fissile material in a vacuum, because that would either give a bomb (if dense enough) or no fission chain reaction (if too scattered).

Ronie Bayron said:
Boiling water reactors (BWRs) boil water in the core, and the steam is passed through large pipes (steam lines) directly to a high pressure turbine, so it is a direct cycle. Nuclear plants achieve between 32 to nearly 38% thermal efficiency.

Direct conversion, which has been envisioned for some fusion systems, requires charge separation in which the electrons are collected to provide a current to the load, and then sent to a recombiner where they neutralize the positive ions which are collected.

In a nuclear (fission) reactor, charge separation would be difficult, if it wasn't impossible, to achieve. Conventional nuclear systems use fuel assemblies, a fraction of which are replaced periodically as fission products accumulate over time. In the fission process, the electrons are rapidly collected by the ionized fission product atoms, so there is little opportunity to collect free electrons.

I have seen concepts for thermionic based electrical systems involving emitter/collector systems in core (of a compact fast reactor). It was a problematic system. One of the challenges is placing the conductors and insulators in the core where they are subject to neutron irradiation. It is an expensive (uneconomic) concept for commercial electrical generation on a large scale.

Likes Ronie Bayron
Queries on nuclear direct conversion have been answer on PF earlier. No its not done on any practical scale, yes some research has been done especially by Mark Prelass at MU, and not just via charge collection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon-intermediate_direct_energy_conversion
http://phys.org/news/2009-04-hot-air-nuclear-power-scientists.html
http://munews.missouri.edu/news-releases/2009/0413-prelas-energy-summit.php
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pidec-nuclear-photoelectric-powerplant.307262/

Direct conversion of nuclear energy to electricity has been a challenging problem since the inception of the generation of electricity from nuclear reactions. The development of wide bandgap, p-n junctions in materials such as diamond, gallium nitride, aluminum nitride, and silicon carbide is at the heart of this research. A p-n junction in materials with band-gaps greater than 3 eV can be used in nuclear energy conversion in multiple ways. For example, for direct conversion of the kinetic energy of particles from the decay of radioisotopes, a diamond p-n junction has some unique advantages. It is less susceptible to radiation damage than SiC, GaN, and AlN because, at high temperatures, it can self-anneal point defects caused by radiation damage. A method which eliminates the radiation damage problem is a Two-Step Photon Intermediate Direct Energy Conversion (PIDEC) method that uses the efficient generation of photons from the interaction of particulate radiation with fluorescer media. The photons are then transported to wide band-gap photovoltaic cells where electrical current is generated. PIDEC holds the promise of 40% energy conversion efficiency in a single cycle. PIDEC can be applied both to large power generation systems and to small scale nuclear batteries based on radioisotopes (Radioisotope Energy Conversion System-RECS). Students and faculty have built a test stand for the PIDEC and RECS concepts which tests the physics of fluorescence production from the interaction of radiation with various fluorescer media, the transport of photons, radiation shielding methods, photovoltaic conversion with wide band-gap photovoltaic cells, and conversion efficiencies.

https://mospace.umsystem.edu/xmlui/...r Energy Conversion [abstract].pdf?sequence=3

Likes mfb

What is Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion?

Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion is a process that converts the energy released by nuclear reactions directly into electricity without the use of a steam turbine or other mechanical generator.

How does Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion work?

Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion works by using a device called a direct energy converter, which converts the charged particles produced by nuclear reactions into electrical energy. These particles, such as electrons or ions, are accelerated through an electric field, creating a flow of electricity.

What are the benefits of Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion?

Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion offers several benefits, including higher efficiency compared to traditional nuclear power plants, less reliance on fossil fuels, and reduced greenhouse gas emissions. It also produces less nuclear waste and has a smaller physical footprint.

What are the challenges of Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion?

One of the main challenges of Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion is the development and optimization of direct energy converters. These devices must be able to handle high levels of heat and radiation, while also being efficient and reliable. There are also concerns about the safety and security of handling and storing nuclear materials.

Is Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion currently being used?

While Nuclear Direct Electricity Conversion technology is still in its early stages of development, it is currently being used in some experimental and research reactors. However, it has not yet been implemented on a commercial scale. More research and development is needed before it can be widely adopted as a source of electricity.