Which MSc Focus in Nuclear Engineering Best Suits a Future in ADS Research?

In summary, a nuclear engineering degree would be a good choice if one wants to work in a company that specializes in nuclear engineering. There is extensive on-the-job training provided, and a program in physics would give a good foundation for work in an ADS.
eXorikos
What would be a good choice as a MSc in nuclear physics to do in a company specialized in nuclear engineering? Training on nuclear engineering will be provided.

Current proposals are modeling of reactors for severe accidents, modeling for safety and licensing or reactor & fluid systems.

Which of the three option would you advice on choosing if possible?

Is there something I should try and work towards within the company that will help my carreer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any specific reason why your just don't get the nuclear engineering masters since the company specializes in it? I'm a nuclear engineering student and believe me when I say nuclear physics is a part of the field but it doesn't really encompass it. The nuclear physics will be able to tell you what's going on inside your core, but it tells you nothing of engineered nuclear systems, or safety,or structure requirements or of standards in the industry. It's just not as practical as the MSc in Nuclear Engineering in my opinion for the jobs you have outlined, where as licensing and thermal hydraulics and accident prevention are covered in nuclear eng. curriculums it's probably not in nuclear physics curriculums

As I explained earlier, the company provides extensive training over my first year. Equivalent to the nuclear engineering degree here in Belgium.

Well you only learn fundamentals with the degree so unless they are planning to teach you heat transfer, fluid dynamics, reactor engineering concepts and something about materials I wouldn't put a lot of stock into their on the job training equivalent to a NE degree, maybe reactor operation training or modeling or accident prevention. But if you have to choose one I would go with the fluids and reactor systems

It's a total of more than 400 hours of courses.

I see, well personally I find thermal hydraulics to be interesting which is exactly what reactor engineering is about. You'll most likely run over some of the accident prevention things over the course of study, because a lot of accidents happen because of loss of coolant.

eXorikos said:
What would be a good choice as a MSc in nuclear physics to do in a company specialized in nuclear engineering? Training on nuclear engineering will be provided.

Current proposals are modeling of reactors for severe accidents, modeling for safety and licensing or reactor & fluid systems.

Which of the three option would you advice on choosing if possible?

Is there something I should try and work towards within the company that will help my carreer?

What is your end goal? If none, please pick whichever interests you the most. What do you want out of your career in nuclear engineering?

Something I would love is to end up in doing research on new systems. I really like the concept ADS for example.

As an outsider, I don't have a good overview of what direction nuclear engineering is going towards. That was something I was hoping to learn here.

eXorikos said:
Something I would love is to end up in doing research on new systems. I really like the concept ADS for example.

As an outsider, I don't have a good overview of what direction nuclear engineering is going towards. That was something I was hoping to learn here.
A program in physics, particular with nuclear physics, would be appropriate for work in an ADS. Engineering would also play a component. One still has to maintain control of the process, maintain sturctural integrity, transfer heat, etc, or basically the same functions that one finds in a conventional nuclear plant.

The key difference between ADS and a conventional core is the core configuration, including the driving system for the ADS. Accelerator physis and transport theory are critical aspects.

FYI - http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Current-and-Future-Generation/Accelerator-driven-Nuclear-Energy/

FAQ: Which MSc Focus in Nuclear Engineering Best Suits a Future in ADS Research?

1. What is nuclear engineering and what are its applications?

Nuclear engineering is a field of study that deals with the science and technology related to nuclear reactions, radiation, and the production and use of nuclear energy. Its applications include the generation of electricity, propulsion in naval ships and submarines, medical diagnostic and treatment techniques, and industrial applications such as materials testing and production of isotopes.

2. What are the job prospects for nuclear engineers?

The job outlook for nuclear engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029. The demand for nuclear engineers is expected to come from the energy sector, particularly in the development of nuclear power plants and alternative energy sources. Additionally, there is a need for nuclear engineers in the medical and industrial fields.

3. Is nuclear engineering a safe field to work in?

Nuclear engineering is a highly regulated field with strict safety protocols in place. Nuclear engineers are trained to prioritize safety and follow established procedures to prevent accidents. However, like any other field involving hazardous materials, there are inherent risks and precautions that must be taken.

4. What skills are required to become a nuclear engineer?

To become a nuclear engineer, one must have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Attention to detail, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are also essential. Additionally, knowledge of computer programming and familiarity with nuclear regulations and safety procedures are necessary.

5. What are some current challenges and advancements in nuclear engineering?

One current challenge in nuclear engineering is the safe disposal of nuclear waste. Researchers are also working on developing advanced nuclear reactors that are more efficient and produce less waste. Other advancements include the use of nuclear technology in space exploration and the development of small modular reactors for remote areas or disaster relief. Additionally, there is ongoing research into fusion energy as a potential alternative to traditional nuclear power.