Nuclear Fusion energy questions

In summary, the release of energy in nuclear fusion occurs when the component nuclei have enough initial energy to overcome electrostatic repulsion and bind together in a more tightly bound configuration. This results in a lower energy state and the difference in energy is released as heat, radiation, or particles. The stability of a nucleus depends on the balance between repulsive electrostatic forces and attractive strong forces. The potential energy of the components plays a crucial role in the fusion process as it is converted into other forms of energy during fusion.
Arthur Rocha
Hi guys,
I have been reading about nuclear fusion and I have some doubts that I did not find the answer.
I understand that the reactants are in a more energetic state than the products when the energy release occurs, however:
*What triggers the release of energy?
*Where does the released energy come from?
*How is it released from the atom?
Another question, but related to the theme:
*What defines the stability of a nucleus or particles?
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I find it a bit hard to believe a simple google search didn't immediately turn up the answers to those questions. Could you please post a link to what you've been reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman and bhobba
russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

I find it a bit hard to believe a simple google search didn't immediately turn up the answers to those questions. Could you please post a link to what you've been reading.
It will not be possible because I read from various sources. I researched a lot on the subject and did not find the answer, at most it says "the product weighs less than the reagents,so the fusion releases energy", but never because why it releases or what make release. If you can help would be very grateful

Arthur Rocha said:
*What triggers the release of energy?
You need to supply the component nuclei with enough initial energy so as to allow them to overcome electrostatic repulsion (naked nuclei are positively charged due to all those protons). With enough kinetic energy, a nucleus might get close enough to another, where at certain distance the attractive strength of strong nuclear force is greater than the electrostatic repulsion. At that point the nuclei preferentially bind together in a system of lower energy state, and the difference in energy states is released as energy.
This is similar to lighting a match - you need to supply some initial energy to get over some potential barrier preventing the components from binding in a more strongly bound configuration (the latter releasing more energy than was needed to overcome the barrier).

Arthur Rocha said:
*Where does the released energy come from?
From the potential energy of the components. As they settle into a more tightly bound configuration, the difference between initial and final potential energy is released - same as with a rock falling from height.

Arthur Rocha said:
*How is it released from the atom?
Depends on the specific reaction, but in general it can be released as kinetic energy of the products, radiation, or particles (e.g. neutrinos, electrons, positrons).

Arthur Rocha said:
*What defines the stability of a nucleus or particles?
The interaction between repulsive and attractive forces. In the case of nuclei, it's the repulsive electrostatic force from protons and the attractive strong force between protons and neutrons. The two have different ranges and strengths, so there exist combinations of protons+neutrons that make for more stable nuclei than other configurations.

Likes Merlin3189
Arthur Rocha said:
It will not be possible because I read from various sources. I researched a lot on the subject and did not find the answer, at most it says "the product weighs less than the reagents,so the fusion releases energy", but never because why it releases or what make release. If you can help would be very grateful
They must have been pretty weak sources. Even the wiki article can answer pretty much all your questions. (someone already posted it)

Please let us know if there is anything in particular you are still having trouble with.

Bandersnatch said:
You need to supply the component nuclei with enough initial energy so as to allow them to overcome electrostatic repulsion (naked nuclei are positively charged due to all those protons). With enough kinetic energy, a nucleus might get close enough to another, where at certain distance the attractive strength of strong nuclear force is greater than the electrostatic repulsion. At that point the nuclei preferentially bind together in a system of lower energy state, and the difference in energy states is released as energy.
This is similar to lighting a match - you need to supply some initial energy to get over some potential barrier preventing the components from binding in a more strongly bound configuration (the latter releasing more energy than was needed to overcome the barrier).From the potential energy of the components. As they settle into a more tightly bound configuration, the difference between initial and final potential energy is released - same as with a rock falling from height.Depends on the specific reaction, but in general it can be released as kinetic energy of the products, radiation, or particles (e.g. neutrinos, electrons, positrons).The interaction between repulsive and attractive forces. In the case of nuclei, it's the repulsive electrostatic force from protons and the attractive strong force between protons and neutrons. The two have different ranges and strengths, so there exist combinations of protons+neutrons that make for more stable nuclei than other configurations.

Can you tell me more about the potential energy you quoted? Potential energy in nuclear fusion

Arthur Rocha said:
Can you tell me more about the potential energy you quoted? Potential energy in nuclear fusion
Are you familiar with how potential energy in a gravitational field is converted into other kinds of energy as two gravitating components are brought together?

Bandersnatch said:
Are you familiar with how potential energy in a gravitational field is converted into other kinds of energy as two gravitating components are brought together?
Yes. I studied only about gravitational potential energy and the one you mentioned to me seemed strange to me, if possible, I would like you to explain better about that potential energy you are quoting

Arthur Rocha said:
Yes. I studied only about gravitational potential energy and the one you mentioned to me seemed strange to me, if possible, I would like you to explain better about that potential energy you are quoting
Sorry for the sporadic replies - it's that time of the year.

So, with an object in a gravitational field, it has some potential energy associated with its separation from the source of the field. As the attractive force brings it closer to the source, the object exchanges its potential energy for other kinds of energy. Normally it's just kinetic energy, but when e.g. an asteroid finally hits the surface of a planet, its kinetic energy is further converted into heat, radiation, or kinetic energy of fragments ejected upon impact. In any case, whatever energy you count as released at some later stages, it must have come from the gravitational potential energy.

It's similar with fusion reactions. You have some components in an attractive force field, albeit this time it's the strong nuclear force rather than gravity, which have some potential energy associated with their separation. As you bring them closer together the potential energy is exchanged for other kinds of energy. These other kinds may manifest as kinetic energy, radiation (photons), or massive particles (electrons, neutrinos, etc.).

Likes Arthur Rocha
thanks a lot,guys

1. What is nuclear fusion energy?

Nuclear fusion energy is a type of energy that is produced by combining two or more atomic nuclei together to form a larger nucleus. This process releases a significant amount of energy, which can be harnessed to generate electricity.

2. How is nuclear fusion different from nuclear fission?

Nuclear fusion is the process of combining nuclei, while nuclear fission is the process of splitting nuclei. Nuclear fusion releases significantly more energy than nuclear fission and produces fewer radioactive byproducts. However, nuclear fusion is still a challenging technology to harness for energy production.

3. What elements are involved in nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion typically involves the nuclei of light elements such as hydrogen, deuterium, and tritium. These nuclei are combined to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process.

4. What are the potential benefits of nuclear fusion energy?

Nuclear fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy. It produces minimal waste and does not emit greenhouse gases or other pollutants. It could also reduce dependence on fossil fuels and provide a reliable, sustainable source of energy.

5. What are the challenges of achieving nuclear fusion energy?

One of the main challenges of achieving nuclear fusion energy is the high temperatures and pressures required to initiate and sustain the fusion reaction. Scientists are also working on developing materials that can withstand these extreme conditions and finding ways to efficiently capture and convert the energy produced by nuclear fusion.