Number of bits per pulse width in buffers and delay lines (optical)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of delay lines in relation to pulses and storage bits. The person asks for clarification on the type of delay lines, clocking system, and input signal. They provide an example of using an optical delay line and measuring the delay using a Gaussian pulse. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the interest.
shpongle
Hi

I was working on delay-lines and I wanted to know if a pulse is delayed by 10 pulse lengths through a delay-lines than what is the corresponding storage bit for that delay line.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
shpongle said:
Hi

I was working on delay-lines and I wanted to know if a pulse is delayed by 10 pulse lengths through a delay-lines than what is the corresponding storage bit for that delay line.

Thanks

Could you give some examples of the types of delay lines you are looking at? Some of the words you used in your post are confusing to me. What is the clocking system for the delay line? What is the nature of the input signal to the delay line? Are these digital delay lines or analog delay lines? If digital, are the input and output digital signals in the same clock domain, or in two different clock domains?

Likes shpongle
It is an optical delay line. I have attached a sample paper. I am simulating the CROW type delay line in CST Mirowave Studio.

I use a Gaussian pulse to excite the structure and measure the time corresponding to the maximum value of the signal at the output. I divide this time with the time corresponding to half of the input pulse width, to obtain a normalised delay in terms of pulse width.

Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• Dealy-Lines.pdf
    457.1 KB · Views: 524

1. What is the significance of the number of bits per pulse width in buffers and delay lines?

The number of bits per pulse width in buffers and delay lines is important because it determines the amount of data that can be stored or transmitted at a given time. A higher number of bits per pulse width allows for more information to be encoded in each pulse, leading to faster data transmission and more efficient use of buffer and delay line resources.

2. How is the number of bits per pulse width determined in optical systems?

The number of bits per pulse width is determined by the modulation scheme used in the optical system. Different modulation schemes, such as amplitude-shift keying (ASK), phase-shift keying (PSK), and quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM), have different bit-per-pulse-width ratios. The specific modulation scheme used will depend on factors such as the desired data rate and the available equipment.

3. What is the maximum number of bits per pulse width that can be achieved in optical systems?

The maximum number of bits per pulse width that can be achieved in optical systems is constantly evolving as technology advances. Currently, state-of-the-art systems can achieve up to 400 Gb/s per wavelength, which corresponds to 16 bits per pulse width using QAM-16 modulation. However, research is ongoing to develop new modulation techniques that could potentially increase this number even further.

4. How does the number of bits per pulse width affect the overall performance of an optical system?

The number of bits per pulse width has a significant impact on the performance of an optical system. A higher number of bits per pulse width allows for faster data transmission, which results in higher data transfer rates and lower latency. Additionally, a higher number of bits per pulse width can also improve the signal-to-noise ratio, leading to more reliable data transmission.

5. Are there any trade-offs associated with increasing the number of bits per pulse width in optical systems?

While increasing the number of bits per pulse width can lead to improved performance, there are trade-offs to consider. As the number of bits per pulse width increases, the complexity of the modulation scheme also increases, requiring more sophisticated equipment and techniques. This can result in higher costs and more complex system design and maintenance. Additionally, increasing the number of bits per pulse width may also lead to higher bit error rates, which can affect the quality of data transmission.