Number of K electrons that are ejected from lead

In summary, the task is to determine the number of K electrons ejected from a lead foil with a thickness of 0.5 x 10^20 atoms/cm^2, which is bombarded by 10^4 photons with an energy of 88keV each. The information needed for this calculation includes the mass attenuation coefficient, which is given as 7.483 cm^2/g or .7483 m^2/kg, the atomic number of lead (Z=82), the density of lead (11360 kg/m^3), and the number of electrons per gram (2.38 x 10^23). The book provides the answer of 903 K electrons, but the correct value for u/p is .564
TheBoy

Homework Statement

Determine the number of K electrons ejected from a foil of lead with thickness 0.5 x 10^20 atoms/cm^2. It is bombarded by 10^4 photons that each have an energy of 88keV.

Homework Equations

From a figure in the book, it shows that u/p (7.483 cm^2/g = .7483 m^2/kg). I think this is the mass attenuation coefficient.
Z = 82. I think this is the atomic number and is the number of electrons per atom.

The density of lead is 11360 kg/m^3 and the number of electrons per g is 2.38 x 10^23 electrons/g.

The Attempt at a Solution

We need to find number of electrons.
We know thickness, initial number of photons, their energy, and u/p which is the mass attenuation coefficient I think.

I'm not really sure of an equation that can relate this information to the number of electrons ejected.

I know the answer is 903 K electrons because that's what the book gives.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I made a mistake. u/p is .564 m^2/kg for the k electrons

1. How many K electrons are ejected from lead?

The number of K electrons ejected from lead depends on the energy of the incident radiation and the atomic structure of lead. Generally, it is observed that one or two K electrons are ejected from lead during X-ray absorption.

2. What is the significance of the number of K electrons ejected from lead?

The number of K electrons ejected from lead is significant because it provides information about the electronic structure of lead. It helps in understanding the energy levels and configuration of electrons in the atom, which is important for various scientific and technological applications.

3. How is the number of K electrons ejected from lead determined?

The number of K electrons ejected from lead is determined through X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) or X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS). These techniques involve irradiating the lead sample with X-rays and measuring the energy and number of electrons emitted, providing information about the number of K electrons ejected.

4. Is the number of K electrons ejected from lead constant?

No, the number of K electrons ejected from lead is not constant. It can vary depending on the energy of the incident radiation, the chemical environment of lead, and the experimental conditions. However, it is generally observed that one or two K electrons are ejected from lead.

5. Can the number of K electrons ejected from lead be used to identify the element?

Yes, the number of K electrons ejected from lead can be used to identify the element. It is a characteristic property of lead and can be compared to known values to confirm the identity of the element. This technique is commonly used in analytical chemistry for elemental analysis.