1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of K electrons that are ejected from lead

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the number of K electrons ejected from a foil of lead with thickness 0.5 x 10^20 atoms/cm^2. It is bombarded by 10^4 photons that each have an energy of 88keV.

2. Relevant equations

From a figure in the book, it shows that u/p (7.483 cm^2/g = .7483 m^2/kg). I think this is the mass attenuation coefficient.
    Z = 82. I think this is the atomic number and is the number of electrons per atom.

The density of lead is 11360 kg/m^3 and the number of electrons per g is 2.38 x 10^23 electrons/g.

3. The attempt at a solution

We need to find number of electrons.
    We know thickness, initial number of photons, their energy, and u/p which is the mass attenuation coefficient I think.

I'm not really sure of an equation that can relate this information to the number of electrons ejected.

I know the answer is 903 K electrons because that's what the book gives.

Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2
    I made a mistake. u/p is .564 m^2/kg for the k electrons

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook