1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of States in a 1D Simple Harmonic Oscillator

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A system is made of N 1D simple harmonic oscillators. Show that the number of states with total energy E is given by [itex]\Omega[/itex](E) = [itex]\frac{(M+N-1)!}{(M!)(N-1)!}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Each particle has energy ε = [itex]\overline{h}[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex](n + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]), n = 0, 1

Total energy is given by E = [[itex]\frac{N}{2}[/itex] + M][itex]\overline{h}[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex], M is an integer

3. The attempt at a solution

If the entire system is in the ground state, n = 0 for all particles and the energy will be [itex]\frac{N}{2}[/itex][itex]\overline{h}[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]

So M must be the number of excited particles having the value of n = 1

Hence, the total number of states should be the number of ways that I can choose M particles to be "excited" out of N particles.
    [itex]\Omega[/itex] = [itex]\frac{N!}{(M!)(N-M)!}[/itex] but that is not the case.

I am not sure where I have gone wrong.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your mistake is in assuming the excited oscillators have to be in the n=1 state. For example, say you had three oscillators. If two are in the n=1 state and one is in the n=0 state, the system has the same energy as one with one oscillator in the n=2 state and two oscillators in the n=0 state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted