Number Theory: Define G(n) and show property for any prime p

In summary, we are given the following problem: Define the numbers G_n = \prod_{k=1}^n (\prod_{j=1}^{k-1}\frac{k}{j}), and we need to show that (a) G_n is an integer for n>1, and (b) for each prime p, there are infinitely many n>1 such that p does not divide G_n. To prove (a), it can be shown that G_n is equal to the product of the binomial coefficients \prod_{k=0}^n\dbinom{n}{k}. To prove (b), we can assume the opposite and show that this leads to a contradiction, thus proving that there are
Vespero

Homework Statement

Define the numbers

[tex] G_n = \prod_{k=1}^n (\prod_{j=1}^{k-1}\frac{k}{j}).[/tex]

(a) Show that [itex]G_n[/itex] is an integer, [itex]n>1[/itex];

(b) Show that for each prime [itex]p[/itex], there are infinitely many [itex]n>1[/itex] such that [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex]G_n.[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that the expansion is

[tex] G_n = (\prod_{j=1}^{0}\frac{k}{j}) (\dfrac{2}{1})(\dfrac{3}{1}\dfrac{3}{2})...(\dfrac{n}{1}\dfrac{n}{2}...\dfrac{n}{n-1}).[/tex]

However, what happens when n = 1, or more specifically, in the first factor of the general expansion where k = 1? Do we simply ignore [itex]\prod_{j=1}^{0}\frac{k}{j}[/itex]? Does it equal 1? I assume it doesn't equal 0, or the function would always equal 0. Once I understand this, I might actually be able to work the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, now. Computing the first few values yields the sequence 1, 2, 9, 96, 2500,... which are the products across consecutive horizontal rows of Pascal's triangle.

[tex]1 = 1[/tex]
[tex]2 = 1*2*1[/tex]
[tex]9 = 1*3*3*1[/tex]
[tex]96 = 1*4*6*4*1[/tex]
[tex]2500 = 1*5*10*10*5*1[/tex]

and so on. In other words, it should be possible to convert [itex]G_n[/itex] to the product of the binomial coefficients [itex] \prod_{k=0}^n\dbinom{n}{k}. [/itex] Now, how to do that? I tried writing out both sides and equating them but am having a bit of trouble with all the number shunting.

I proved the equality of [itex]G_n[/itex] with the product of the binomial coefficients, implying that [itex]G_n[/itex] is an integer for every [itex]n>1[/itex], as the product of a finite number of integers is also an integer. Now I need to prove that for a given prime p, there are infinitely many [itex]n>1[/itex] such that p does not divide [itex]G_n[/itex]. I think I need to show that our given prime p is not in the prime factorization of [itex]G_n[/itex], but I'm not sure how todo this. I could try writing out the function and showing that the power of the prime in the numerator and denominator are equal at some point and that this reoccurs for that prime as n increases, but this seems like a tedious way to go about it and the numbers in the numerator and denominator are not themselves factored into primes, making this difficult to compute for an arbitrary value of the function. Any suggestions?

Still looking for help on this one. Another possibility I've considered is the following:

Let us assume that there are not infinitely many n>1 such that p does not divide [itex]G_n[/itex]. Then there exists some integer n such that p divides [itex]G_n[/itex] and p also divides [itex]G_k[/itex] for all k>n. This implies that p is a factor in the prime factorization of [itex]G_k[/itex] for all k>n. Is there any way to show that this leads to a contradiction?

1. What is Number Theory?

Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the properties and relationships of integers and their patterns.

2. What is G(n) in Number Theory?

G(n) is a function in Number Theory that represents the number of positive integers less than or equal to n that are relatively prime to n.

3. How is G(n) calculated?

G(n) is calculated by finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of n and all integers less than or equal to n, and then subtracting this number from n. This process is repeated for all integers less than or equal to n, and the sum of all the GCDs is the final value of G(n).

4. What is the property of G(n) for prime numbers?

The property of G(n) for prime numbers is that G(n) is equal to n-1 for any prime number p. This means that all positive integers less than or equal to a prime number are relatively prime to that prime number.

5. How is the property of G(n) for prime numbers proven?

The property of G(n) for prime numbers can be proven by using Euler's Totient Function, which is closely related to G(n). It can also be proven using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be uniquely represented as a product of prime numbers.