Object A is stationary while objects B and C are in motion.

In summary, the homework statement is that objects A, B, and C are in motion, and forces from object A do 10 J of work on object B and –5 J of work on object C. Forces from the environment do 4 J of work on object B and 8 J of work on object C.
Cc518

Homework Statement

Object A is stationary while objects B and C are in motion.
Forces from object A do 10 J of work on object B and –5 J of
work on object C. Forces from the environment do 4 J of work
on object B and 8 J of work on object C. Objects B and C do
not interact. What are ΔKtot and ΔU if (a) objects A, B, and C
are defined as separate systems and (b) one system is defined to
include
objects A, B, and C and their interactions?

Homework Equations

ΔEsys 2 = ΔKtot + ΔU = (WA + WB+WC) + ΔU = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I get WB=14J and WC=3J. I just don't understand why WA is not -5J. Apparently C and B exert forces onto A, right? So ΔKtot = 14 + 13 -5 =12J, but the answer is 17J.
For part B, I thought ΔU = -ΔKtot= -12J, but the answer is -5J.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cc518 said:
why WA is not -5J
By some unspecified means, A remains stationary. How is the work done on an object defined?

haruspex said:
By some unspecified means, A remains stationary. How is the work done on an object defined?
No work acting on A because no net force exerted on A?

Cc518 said:
No work acting on A because no net force exerted on A?
That's not what I asked. How is the work done on a body defined?

haruspex said:
That's not what I asked. How is the work done on a body defined?
The body has to move a distance d

A is stationary which means its velocity doesn't change, therefore its change in kinetic energy is zero, therefore the work done on A is zero

Cc518 said:
A is stationary which means its velocity doesn't change, therefore its change in kinetic energy is zero, therefore the work done on A is zero
Right.
Does that also answer your query on part b?

So if we consider A, B and C as one system, the ΔKtot is 14 + 13 =17J. Then the change in potential energy should be -17J since the energy is conserved in an isolated system, am I correct?
But the answer says change in potential energy is 5J, I don't understand:sorry:

Cc518 said:
the energy is conserved in an isolated system
But it is not isolated. If it were, A would move, and we are anyway told that external forces do work on B and C.

Sorry, I still don't understand how WA=0(work done on A equals zero) helps me to understand part b...
If we only consider the interactions between A,B and C, excluding the external forces, the total change in kinetic energy is WB+WC=10-5=5J, which makes the total change in potential energy equal to - ΔKtot=-5J in a system consisting A, B and C. Am I right?

Cc518 said:
If we only consider the interactions between A,B and C, excluding the external forces, the total change in kinetic energy is WB+WC=10-5=5J, which makes the total change in potential energy equal to - ΔKtot=-5J in a system consisting A, B and C. Am I right?
Yes, I think so.

OK,thank you so much!

1. What is the definition of "stationary" in this context?

In this context, "stationary" means that an object is not changing its position or location in relation to a fixed point or reference frame.

2. How can we determine if an object is stationary?

An object can be determined to be stationary if it is not moving and is not experiencing any acceleration or change in velocity. This can be observed by measuring the distance and position of the object over a period of time.

3. What is the relationship between the motion of objects B and C and the stationary object A?

The relationship between the motion of objects B and C and the stationary object A is that they are in different states of motion. Object A is not moving, while objects B and C are in motion with varying speeds and directions.

4. Can an object be both stationary and in motion at the same time?

No, an object cannot be both stationary and in motion at the same time. Stationary means that an object is not moving, while motion means that an object is changing its position or location.

5. How does the motion of objects B and C affect the stationary object A?

The motion of objects B and C does not have any direct effect on the stationary object A. However, if the motion of objects B and C causes any disturbances or interactions with the environment, it may indirectly affect the stationary object A.