How can image size and image distance be related in convex mirrors?

• Thread starter noname1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirrors
In summary, there are different formulas for calculating the object distance on concave and convex mirrors. For concave mirrors, the formula is di/image size * f, while for convex mirrors, the formula is 1/f=(1/do)+(1/di). The latter formula relates image distance and object distance, while the former relates image size and focal length. It is important to use the correct formula for each type of mirror.
noname1
I know that on concave mirrors to find the object distance we can use

di/image size * f

but now i am confused i am trying the same for convex mirror but it is not working for me, should the formula work also for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
No the formula is different try maybe this equation 1/f=(1/do)+(1/di)
hope this helped! :)

Paulie323 said:
No the formula is different try maybe this equation 1/f=(1/do)+(1/di)
hope this helped! :)

yes i am aware of that formula but i needed to relate image size and image distance while that formula relates image distance and object distance but thanks for trying to help out

1. What is object distance in mirrors?

Object distance in mirrors refers to the distance between an object and the mirror's surface. It is the distance at which the object is placed in front of the mirror to be reflected.

2. How does object distance affect the image in a mirror?

The object distance in a mirror affects the size and orientation of the image. The farther the object is from the mirror, the smaller the image will appear. The closer the object is to the mirror, the larger the image will appear. The orientation of the image will also change depending on whether the object is placed in front of a concave or convex mirror.

3. What is the difference between object distance and image distance in mirrors?

Object distance is the distance between the object and the mirror, while image distance is the distance between the mirror and the image that is formed. These two distances are related by the mirror equation, which states that the object distance multiplied by the image distance is equal to the focal length of the mirror.

4. How does the shape of a mirror affect object distance?

The shape of a mirror, whether it is concave or convex, affects the object distance. In a concave mirror, the object distance can be either positive or negative, depending on the position of the object relative to the focal point. In a convex mirror, the object distance is always positive.

5. How is object distance measured in mirrors?

Object distance in mirrors is measured from the center of the mirror's surface to the object. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape. The unit of measurement used is usually in centimeters or meters.