What is the error in the solution for Example 25.3.1(a) on page 11?

• Thread starter hydroxide0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary, the error in the solution for Example 25.3.1(a) on page 11 is that the final calculation for the total cost does not take into account the cost of the sales tax, resulting in an incorrect answer. This error can be corrected by adding the cost of the sales tax to the total cost calculation.
hydroxide0

Homework Statement

The problem is Example 25.3.1 (a) on page 11 here: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01sc-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-2010/angular-momentum-1/conservation-of-angular-momentum/MIT8_01SC_coursenotes25.pdf.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Here is my (apparently incorrect) solution:

We shall take our system to be the object and rod and use conservation of momentum. (We can do so because the only external forces acting on the system are the force of the ceiling on the rod and the gravitational force on the rod, and immediately before the collision these cancel. So if we assume the collision is nearly instantaneous, then there is no net external force on the system during the collision and momentum is conserved.) Equating the momentum of the system immediately before and after the collision gives
[tex] mv_0=m\frac{v_0}{2}+m_rV [/tex]
where ##V## is the speed of the center of mass of the rod immediately after the collision. Since the rod is uniform, the center of mass is a distance ##l/2## away from the pivot point. Thus if we let ##\omega_2## be the angular speed of the rod immediately after the collision, then we have ##V=\omega_2\frac l2##. Plugging this into the above equation gives ##mv_0=m\frac{v_0}{2}+m_r\omega_2\frac{l}{2}##, which we can solve for ##\omega_2## to get ##\omega_2=\frac{mv_0}{m_rl}##.

But according to the solution in the link ##\omega_2=\frac{3mv_0}{2m_rl}##, so there must be something wrong with this... if anyone can point out the error, it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the mass hits the rod, there is an impulse from the pivot on the top of the rod. This impulse is not known, so you are better off using the conservation of angular momentum about the pivot (as they did in their solution). That way, the impulse force has no torque.

But if we assume the collision is instantaneous (as they did in their solution), then there can't be any net impulse on the system, right?

Why can't there be an impulse if the collision is instantaneous?

EDIT: I might not have been clear on this: the impulse is in the ##- \hat{i}## direction.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but since a force acting over zero time causes zero impulse, the horizontal force of the pivot causes zero impulse during the instantaneous collision. Therefore the momentum just before and just after the collision are equal.

hydroxide0 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but since a force acting over zero time causes zero impulse, the horizontal force of the pivot causes zero impulse during the instantaneous collision.
Not if the force is infinite (or very very large), which is usually the case for collisions.

What is an "object striking hanging rod"?

An object striking hanging rod is a scientific instrument used to study the dynamics of collisions between objects. It consists of a rod suspended from a fixed point, with a mass attached to one end and a pivot point at the other end.

How does an object striking hanging rod work?

The object striking hanging rod works by releasing the mass attached to one end, causing it to swing and collide with the pivot at the other end. This collision can be used to study the laws of motion, energy, and momentum.

What are the applications of an object striking hanging rod?

An object striking hanging rod is commonly used in physics classrooms and laboratories to demonstrate the principles of collision and conservation of energy. It can also be used in research to study the properties of different materials or to test the performance of safety equipment.

What are the factors that affect the results of an object striking hanging rod experiment?

The results of an object striking hanging rod experiment can be affected by various factors such as the mass and speed of the object, the length and material of the rod, and the angle of release. Air resistance and friction can also play a role in the outcome of the experiment.

What are the safety precautions to consider when using an object striking hanging rod?

When using an object striking hanging rod, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as goggles and gloves. The experiment should also be conducted in a controlled environment to prevent any potential hazards. Proper handling and storage of the equipment should also be practiced to ensure safety.