Observables and common eigenvectors

In summary, the given matrices A and B have eigenvalues of 1 and -1 for A, and 2 and -2 for B, with degeneracy of 2 for each eigenvalue. The commutator of the two matrices is 0, indicating that they commute. There is one eigenvector common to both A and B, and it is [1 0 0] transposed. Upon further calculation, it is found that there are additional eigenvectors that can be formed from linear combinations of the eigenvectors of A, forming a complete basis for both A and B.
md.xavier

Homework Statement

In a given basis, the eigenvectors A and B are represented by the following matrices:

A = [ 1 0 0 ] B = [ 2 0 0 ]
[ 0 -1 0] [ 0 0 -2i ]
[ 0 0 -1] [ 0 2i 0 ]

What are A and B's eigenvalues?
Determine [A, B].
Obtain a set of eigenvectors common to A and B. Do they form a complete basis?

Homework Equations

(A - λI)x = 0
[A, B] = AB - BA

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so, I calculated the eigenvalues and the commutator quite easily.

For A, I got eigenvalues 1 and -1, with -1 having degeneracy 2.
For B, I got eigenvalues 2 and -2, with 2 having degeneracy 2.

The commutator was 0, so they commutate.

Now, as far as common eigenvectors go - I could only find one. [1 0 0] transposed.

Is this due to the eigenvalues having degeneracy? Does the fact that two observables commuting implies that they have a common complete basis of eigenvectors only hold up if they don't come from degenerate eigenvalues?

Thank you for your help -- the material given to me was not very clear regarding this particular case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell us what you got for your three eigenvectors of B?

Last edited:
I did not get B's eigenvectors -- I got A's, the three unitary vectors, and applied B on them. Only one gave me an eigenvalue of B's (I got [2 0 0] transposed from applying B to [1 0 0] transposed). The others gave me stuff like [0 0 2i] transposed and [0 -2i 0] transposed, which are NOT eigenvectors of B since the remaining eigenvalues are -2 and 2.

I did do the exercise a few weeks ago by calculating B's eigenvectors and got the same conclusions -- I have sadly lost the sheet in which I did them.

You have found two eigenvectors of A that have the same eigenvalue of -1. Any linear combination of these two vectors will still be an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue -1, as you can easily show. See if you can find a particular linear combination that will also be an eigenvector of B with eigenvalue 2. Then find another linear combination that will be an eigenvector of B with eigenvalue -2.

I just did that. Considering a vector a = β*[0 1 0] + μ*[0 0 1], (both transposed) and applying B to it, I get the vector [0 -2μi 2βi] transposed.

Plugging in the eigenvalues and equalizing them, the only solution is μ and β equal to zero for both of them... so I'm at a loss.

Am I going about this the wrong way?

There are nonzero solutions for μ and β.

For example, suppose you want an eigenvector of B with eigenvalue 2. Then you need to find values of μ and β such that

B##\cdot##[0, β, μ]T = 2*[0, β, μ]T

or

[0, -2μi, 2βi] = [0, 2β, 2μ]

Oh. Thank you so much, I was messing up somewhere - I got exactly the same eigenvectors as I got for B. I probably should have gotten B's and compared them with A too.

Turns out they form a complete basis.

Thank you so much again!

Related to Observables and common eigenvectors

1. What are observables in quantum mechanics?

Observables in quantum mechanics refer to physical quantities that can be measured in a quantum system. These include properties such as position, momentum, energy, and spin.

2. What are common eigenvectors in quantum mechanics?

Common eigenvectors in quantum mechanics are states that have simultaneous eigenvalues for two or more observables. This means that the state remains unchanged when measured for any of the observables it is a common eigenvector for.

3. How are observables and common eigenvectors related?

Observables and common eigenvectors are related in that the eigenvalues of an observable are the possible outcomes of a measurement, and the common eigenvectors are the states that correspond to these outcomes.

4. Can all observables have common eigenvectors?

No, not all observables in quantum mechanics have common eigenvectors. This is because some observables are incompatible and cannot be measured simultaneously, meaning they do not have shared eigenstates.

5. Why are common eigenvectors important in quantum mechanics?

Common eigenvectors are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to make simultaneous measurements of compatible observables and determine the state of a system with certainty. They also form the basis for understanding quantum uncertainty and the probabilistic nature of measurements in quantum mechanics.