Observing galaxies: area of sky would I need to survey

In summary, to find 100 Elliptical galaxies, given that there are 10-2 Ellipticals per Mpc3 and a garden telescope can reach to 14 mag, one would need to survey a volume of 10000 Mpc3, which is equivalent to a solid angle of 2.39x10^-3 steradians, or approximately 0.015 square degrees. This can be calculated by taking the fraction of the volume needed to observe (10000 Mpc3) divided by the total volume of the sphere (4188790 Mpc3) and multiplying it by 4pi to convert to a solid angle.
Cedric Chia

Homework Statement

Given that there are 10-2 Ellipticals per Mpc3 and my garden telescope can reach to 14 mag. How large an area of sky would I need to survey to find 100 Elliptical galaxies ? (assume the typical absolute magnitude for an Elliptical galaxy is -21 mag).

Homework Equations

d=100.2(m-M-25)
n=N/V

The Attempt at a Solution

by substituting m=14 and M=-21 into the first equation I found d=100Mpc,

which indicates the volume of sky I could possibly observed is 4/3⋅π⋅d3 = 4188790 Mpc3,

using the second equation n=N/V , where n=number density, I have 10-2 = 100/V,

thus V=10000Mpc3, which is the volume I need to observed to find 100 galaxies.

with these values, how can I find how large the area of sky I need to survey?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cedric Chia said:

Homework Statement

Given that there are 10-2 Ellipticals per Mpc3 and my garden telescope can reach to 14 mag. How large an area of sky would I need to survey to find 100 Elliptical galaxies ? (assume the typical absolute magnitude for an Elliptical galaxy is -21 mag).

Homework Equations

d=100.2(m-M-25)
n=N/V

The Attempt at a Solution

by substituting m=14 and M=-21 into the first equation I found d=100Mpc,

which indicates the volume of sky I could possibly observed is 4/3⋅π⋅d3 = 4188790 Mpc3,

using the second equation n=N/V , where n=number density, I have 10-2 = 100/V,

thus V=10000Mpc3, which is the volume I need to observed to find 100 galaxies.

with these values, how can I find how large the area of sky I need to survey?
You have almost finished... What units are you going to use to report your answer (solid angle, fraction of the hemisphere sphere...)?

hutchphd said:
You have almost finished... What units are you going to use to report your answer (solid angle, fraction of the hemisphere sphere...)?
How can I find solid angle relative to the 10000MPc3?

Cedric Chia said:
How can I find solid angle relative to the 10000MPc3?
The solid angle for a whole sphere is 4pi...for half sphere 2pi...how much of the sphere do you need to view?

hutchphd said:
The solid angle for a whole sphere is 4pi...for half sphere 2pi...how much of the sphere do you need to view?
Thank you for the quick reply,

the total volume of the sphere is 4188790 Mpc3
("which indicates the volume of sky I could possibly observed is 4/3⋅π⋅d3 = 4188790 Mpc3")

and the volume I need to view is 10000Mpc3
("thus V=10000Mpc3, which is the volume I need to observed to find 100 galaxies")

with these values how can I find solid angle?

What fraction of the total sphere volume do you need to observe?

hutchphd said:
What fraction of the total sphere volume do you need to observe?
I think that would be (volume I need to observe) / (total sphere volume) = (10000) / (4188790) = 2.39⋅10-3

1. What is the purpose of observing galaxies?

The purpose of observing galaxies is to study their properties and characteristics, such as their size, shape, composition, and movement. This can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the larger structure of the universe.

2. How do scientists select the area of sky to survey for galaxies?

Scientists typically choose areas of the sky that are not obstructed by bright stars or other objects, as this can interfere with observations. They also consider the location of known galaxies and areas of the sky that have not been extensively studied before.

3. What tools and techniques are used to observe galaxies?

Scientists use various tools and techniques to observe galaxies, such as telescopes (both ground-based and space-based), spectroscopy, and imaging. These allow them to gather data on the light emitted by galaxies and analyze their properties.

4. How long does it take to survey a specific area of the sky for galaxies?

The time it takes to survey a specific area of the sky for galaxies can vary depending on the size of the area and the sensitivity of the instruments being used. It can range from a few hours to several days or even weeks.

5. What are some potential challenges in observing galaxies?

Some potential challenges in observing galaxies include atmospheric interference, such as light pollution and weather conditions, which can affect the quality of observations. The distance and faintness of some galaxies can also make it difficult to gather accurate data. Additionally, technical issues with instruments or data processing can also pose challenges.