1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obtain tension forces Please Help

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1
    Let me try to draw this out

--------------------- <-- R2 <30degree
    \ R1<50degree /
    \ /
    \ /
    \ /
    \ /
    \ /
    \ / T2 is acting north along the 30 degree (R2)
    | T1 is acting north along the 50 degree (R1)

Problem: a 300-N weight is hanging from the ropes R1 and R2. Obtrain the tension forces T1 and T2 acting on the weight.

I have a test in 2 hours and no clue how to solve this problem. I have figured out the 6 others study ones for the most part but need someone to help do this

It appears u can draw it doesnt keep it in tact its basically a triangle upside down with a weight hanging from it
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those problems are always dealt the same way:

a) Draw a y and x axis (here the obvious choice is to put the x axis aligned East-West)

b) Decompose all the forces into their x and y components

c) Apply [itex] \sum F_x = m a_x [/itex] and [itex] \sum F_y = m a_y [/itex]. In this example, the x and y components of the forces add up to zero.

d) You have two equations and two unknowns (at most). Solve for what you are looking for.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?