What Is the Correct Name for This Organic Compound?

In summary, the name of an organic compound is determined by its structural formula and functional groups, and IUPAC nomenclature should be used for proper naming. The structural formula can be determined by analyzing the number and arrangement of atoms, and spectroscopic techniques can also be used. Functional groups can be identified by analyzing the structure, and stereochemistry can be determined through various techniques. If assistance is needed in naming a specific compound, the structural formula and information about functional groups and stereochemistry should be provided.
Anthem26
Trying to finish some online ochem homework, but I'm having trouble with this one. I'm suppose to name the compound shown in the diagram attached, but apparently it's not right. Can someone help me with this one? (Diagram: http://imgur.com/n2yGz.png )

Physics news on Phys.org
You're basically correct, you just need to specify the number of methyl substituents. It's 1,2-dimethylcyclopentane.

ok thanks, that was my mistake.

1. What is the name of this organic compound?

The name of this organic compound is determined by its structural formula and the functional groups present. It is important to use IUPAC nomenclature to correctly name the compound.

2. How do I determine the structural formula of an organic compound?

The structural formula of an organic compound can be determined by analyzing the number and arrangement of carbon, hydrogen, and other atoms in the molecule. This can be done by using the Lewis structure or by using spectroscopic techniques such as NMR or IR spectroscopy.

3. What are the functional groups present in this organic compound?

The functional groups present in an organic compound determine its chemical and physical properties. They can be identified by analyzing the structure and determining the characteristic groups such as alcohols, amines, carboxylic acids, etc.

4. How can I identify the stereochemistry of an organic compound?

The stereochemistry of an organic compound refers to the arrangement of atoms in three-dimensional space. It can be determined by using techniques such as X-ray crystallography or by analyzing the molecule's reaction with a chiral reagent.

5. Can you help me name a specific organic compound?

Yes, I can assist in naming an organic compound. It is important to provide the structural formula and any relevant information about functional groups or stereochemistry to ensure the correct name is given according to IUPAC nomenclature.