ODE - Power Series Convergence

In summary, the recurrence relationship for the given equation is given by a_{n+2}=\frac{2 (-7 + n) (-5 + 2 n)}{(n+1)(n+2)}a_n. The first part involves solving for y1 with initial values a_0=0 and a_1=1, which results in a simple polynomial of degree 7. The second part asks for the radius of convergence of y2 with initial values a_0=1 and a_1=0, where all odd coefficients are equal to 0. The ratio test can be used to find the radius of convergence, which in this case is 1/x^2. However, the ratio test should
thejinx0r

Homework Statement

Solve
[tex](1-4x^2)y''+34x\cdot y'-70y=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

Basically, I found the recurrence relationship to be:
[tex] a_{n+2}=\frac{2 (-7 + n) (-5 + 2 n)}{(n+1)(n+2)}a_n}[/tex]

Now, I solve for y1 where y1 had a_0=0 and a_1 = 1. It is a simple polynomial of degree 7.
That was the first part.

The second part wants me to find the radius of convergence of y2, where y2 has a_0=1 and a_1 = 0.
In this case, all the odd coefficients are equal to 0. But I am having a hard time trying to find the radius of convergence. I actually don't have a clue here.
I tried doing the ratio test directly on the recurrence term, but led me to 1/x^2, but that didn't work, and I think I did wrong to.

I tried finding the pattern and trying to find what the series actually was, but couldn't. :S
So, now I'm stuck.

(P.S. For the patternn, I got a_n = [tex] \frac{2*(-7)(-5)(..)(2n-9)(-5)(-1)(3)(7)(4n-9)}{(2n)!}[/tex]
But it appears to be invalid when I do the ratio test on it according to webworks.

Physics news on Phys.org
thejinx0r said:

Homework Statement

Solve
[tex](1-4x^2)y''+34x\cdot y'-70y=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

Basically, I found the recurrence relationship to be:
[tex] a_{n+2}=\frac{2 (-7 + n) (-5 + 2 n)}{(n+1)(n+2)}a_n}[/tex]

Now, I solve for y1 where y1 had a_0=0 and a_1 = 1. It is a simple polynomial of degree 7.
That was the first part.

The second part wants me to find the radius of convergence of y2, where y2 has a_0=1 and a_1 = 0.
In this case, all the odd coefficients are equal to 0. But I am having a hard time trying to find the radius of convergence. I actually don't have a clue here.
I tried doing the ratio test directly on the recurrence term, but led me to 1/x^2, but that didn't work, and I think I did wrong to.
No, the ratio test will work fine. If it led you to 1/x^2, then you have it upside down! Look at [tex]\frac{a_{2(n+1)}x^{2(n+1)}}{a_{2n}x^{2n}}= \frac{a_{2n+2}}{a_{2n}}x^2[/itex]. For what values of x is that less than 1?

I tried finding the pattern and trying to find what the series actually was, but couldn't. :S
So, now I'm stuck.

(P.S. For the patternn, I got a_n = [tex] \frac{2*(-7)(-5)(..)(2n-9)(-5)(-1)(3)(7)(4n-9)}{(2n)!}[/tex]
But it appears to be invalid when I do the ratio test on it according to webworks.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series in the form of ∑(an * xn), where an is a sequence of coefficients and x is a variable. It is used to represent functions as an infinite sum of monomials.

2. How do you determine if a power series converges?

The convergence of a power series depends on the value of x. If the limit of the absolute value of an * xn as n approaches infinity is equal to zero, then the power series converges at that point. Additionally, the power series may converge at the endpoints of its interval of convergence, depending on the behavior of the function at those points.

3. What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence, denoted by R, is the distance from the center of the power series to the nearest point where the series converges. It can be calculated using the ratio test, where R = 1/L, where L is the limit of the absolute value of an+1/an as n approaches infinity.

4. Can a power series converge at more than one point?

Yes, a power series can converge at multiple points within its interval of convergence. It can also converge at all points within its interval of convergence if the radius of convergence is infinite.

5. How is a power series used to solve differential equations?

Power series can be used to represent solutions to differential equations as an infinite sum of monomials. This allows for the solution to be approximated by truncating the series at a certain point, providing a more accurate solution compared to other methods. Additionally, power series can be used to find recurrence relations for the coefficients, simplifying the process of finding the solution.