1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE - Power Series Convergence

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve
    [tex](1-4x^2)y''+34x\cdot y'-70y=0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Basically, I found the recurrence relationship to be:
    [tex] a_{n+2}=\frac{2 (-7 + n) (-5 + 2 n)}{(n+1)(n+2)}a_n}[/tex]

Now, I solve for y1 where y1 had a_0=0 and a_1 = 1. It is a simple polynomial of degree 7.
    That was the first part.

The second part wants me to find the radius of convergence of y2, where y2 has a_0=1 and a_1 = 0.
    In this case, all the odd coefficients are equal to 0. But I am having a hard time trying to find the radius of convergence. I actually don't have a clue here.
    I tried doing the ratio test directly on the recurrence term, but led me to 1/x^2, but that didn't work, and I think I did wrong to.

I tried finding the pattern and trying to find what the series actually was, but couldn't. :S
    So, now I'm stuck.

(P.S. For the patternn, I got a_n = [tex] \frac{2*(-7)(-5)(..)(2n-9)(-5)(-1)(3)(7)(4n-9)}{(2n)!}[/tex]
    But it appears to be invalid when I do the ratio test on it according to webworks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the ratio test will work fine. If it led you to 1/x^2, then you have it upside down! Look at [tex]\frac{a_{2(n+1)}x^{2(n+1)}}{a_{2n}x^{2n}}= \frac{a_{2n+2}}{a_{2n}}x^2[/itex]. For what values of x is that less than 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook