ODE review question for PDE class. (word question)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem concerning a nonhomogeneous second order linear ODE and the solutions y1(t), y2(t), and y3(t) which satisfy different initial conditions. The question asks for the solution to the ODE with different initial conditions and the person seeks advice on how to approach the problem. The conversation also clarifies that L[y] is an operator representing the ODE.
Nick Bruno
1. This problem concerns a nonhomogeneous second order linear ODE L[y] = g(t).
Suppose that:
y1(t) satisfies the ODE with the initial conditions y(0)=1, y'(0) = 0,
y2(t) satisfies the ODE with the initial conditions y(0)=0, y'(0) = 1, and
y3(t) satisfies the ODE with the initial conditions y(0)=0, y'(0) = 0.
Find the solution to the ODE with the initial conditions y(0) = alpha, y'(0) = beta. Justify your answer.

2. Homework Equations ... this is my problem

3. I haven't started this class yet, but this should be a review from my ODE class. (Its been a long while) This homework question is actually from a partial differential equation class starting in the fall.

from what I remember, second order ODE means there is a second derivative involved. The linear term implies an intremental decrease (or increase) in exponents and the nonhomogeneous term implies that Q(x) does not equal 0.

It seems the question is giving an equation L[y] = g(t) but I don't see any primes or derivatives in this equation, no exponents, and I think the notation may be screwing me up? Any advice would help. Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
L[y] is an operator that represents a 2nd order, linear, nonhomogeneous differential equation. For your problem, I think you can assume that L[y] = a(t)y'' + b(t)y' + c(t)y.

thank you

1. What is an ODE review question for PDE class?

An ODE review question for PDE class is a question that tests your understanding of Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs) in the context of Partial Differential Equations (PDEs). It may involve solving a specific ODE or applying ODE concepts to a PDE problem.

2. Why is it important to review ODEs in a PDE class?

Reviewing ODEs in a PDE class is important because ODEs are the building blocks of PDEs. Understanding ODEs is crucial in solving and understanding PDEs, which are widely used to model real-world phenomena in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What are some common topics covered in ODE review questions for PDE class?

Common topics covered in ODE review questions for PDE class include solving first-order and second-order ODEs, boundary value problems, initial value problems, and applications of ODEs in PDEs.

4. How can I prepare for ODE review questions in a PDE class?

To prepare for ODE review questions in a PDE class, it is important to have a strong understanding of ODE concepts, such as integrating factors, separation of variables, and series solutions. Practice solving different types of ODEs and review key concepts and techniques.

5. Are there any resources available to help with ODE review for PDE class?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with ODE review for PDE class. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems and solutions, and study groups or tutoring sessions. Your professor or teaching assistant may also be able to provide additional resources or guidance.