Oh man, I don't understand anything about forces Dx

• Thread starter lolsherry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx Forces
In summary, a student is struggling with physics and is looking for help understanding forces and their relationship to acceleration and equilibrium. They provide a problem involving a large jet flying at a constant altitude and ask for the forward acceleration and upward force required for the plane to remain in level flight. They also express confusion about the relationship between upward force and horizontal flight.
lolsherry
I just started taking physics this year (junior year in high school) and I can honestly say that I have no idea what's going on. Alright, so I know about free fall (well...the falling part of free fall, not when the ball bounces up and back down again) and acceleration, but pretty much anything other than stuff that's clearly cut I have no idea where to even START. One problem is:
As a large jet flies at a constant altitude, its engines produce a forward thrust of 8.4 x 10 ^5 N. The mass of the plane is 2.6 x 1^5 kg.
a. What is the forward acceleration of the plane, ignoring air resistance?
b. How much upward force must the air exert on the plane when it is flying horizontally?

And is there a site or something that I can learn forces from? I don't know which forces are opposites (like one is positive and one is negative) and which forces are completely the same and balance each other out.

Physics news on Phys.org
lolsherry said:
As a large jet flies at a constant altitude, its engines produce a forward thrust of 8.4 x 10 ^5 N. The mass of the plane is 2.6 x 1^5 kg.

a. What is the forward acceleration of the plane, ignoring air resistance?

You are given a force (F) and a mass (m). Do you know any equations involving F and m you could use to get acceleration (a) ?

b. How much upward force must the air exert on the plane when it is flying horizontally?

What's a force that pulls objects back to earth? In order for a plane to remain in level flight at altitude, what must be true about the sum of forces in the "vertical" direction?

fss said:
What's a force that pulls objects back to earth? In order for a plane to remain in level flight at altitude, what must be true about the sum of forces in the "vertical" direction?
Oooo, I think I drew the diagram wrong. xP Wait, so is the acceleration 3.23 m/s^2? And for the second part...hmmm...the force has to be greater in the "vertical" direction because the net force and acceleration goes in the direction of the greater force, right? Huh. But I don't know how to answer the second part. :/ I just can't see how the upward force and the plane flying horizontally is related.

>>the force has to be greater in the "vertical" direction because the net force and acceleration goes in the direction of the greater force, right?

No, you have 1 force in the Y direction initially. Its gravity, which is pulling the plane down towards the earth. They want to know the vertical force required to counter act gravity.

Heres a force diagram
[PLAIN]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1926/gradiant.png

Question 1 :

The Forces in the X direction are:

F(thrust) = m*a
a = F(thrust)/m

Question 2:

You must find F(air) that counteracts F(gravity)

Sum of the forces in the Y direction

F(air) - F(gravity) = 0 //it must equal zero to be in equilibrium

now solve for F(air), remember that F(gravity) is m*g

Last edited by a moderator:

First of all, it's completely normal to feel overwhelmed and confused when learning about new concepts in physics. It takes time and practice to fully understand and apply these principles. I can assure you that with dedication and persistence, you will eventually grasp the concepts of forces.

To answer the problem you presented, we first need to understand the concept of forces. A force is any push or pull acting on an object, and it can cause an object to accelerate. In this case, the forward thrust of the jet's engines is the force that causes the plane to accelerate forward.

To calculate the forward acceleration of the plane, we can use Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). So, using the values given in the problem, we can calculate the forward acceleration of the plane as follows:

a = F/m = (8.4 x 10^5 N)/(2.6 x 10^5 kg) = 3.23 m/s^2

This means that for every second the plane is flying, its speed will increase by 3.23 meters per second.

Moving on to the second part of the problem, we need to understand that when an object is in stable, level flight, the upward force of the air (known as lift) must be equal to the weight of the plane. This is because the plane is not accelerating vertically, so the net force in the vertical direction must be zero.

To calculate the upward force of the air, we can use the same equation as before, but this time we rearrange it to solve for the force (F=ma). Since we know the mass of the plane and its acceleration in the vertical direction is zero, the upward force must be equal to its weight, which is given by the formula F=mg. So, using the values given in the problem, we can calculate the upward force of the air as follows:

F = m x g = (2.6 x 10^5 kg) x (9.8 m/s^2) = 2.54 x 10^6 N

This means that the air must exert an upward force of 2.54 x 10^6 N on the plane to keep it flying horizontally.

In terms of learning more about forces, there are many online resources and textbooks available that can help you understand the concepts better.

What are forces?

Forces are a type of interaction between objects that can cause them to move or change their shape. There are four basic types of forces: gravity, electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force.

How do forces affect motion?

Forces can either cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. This is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

How do forces interact with each other?

Forces can either act in the same direction, cancel each other out, or act in opposite directions. When multiple forces act on an object, they combine to create a net force, which determines the resulting motion of the object.

How do I calculate the force of gravity between two objects?

The force of gravity between two objects can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.