Why is Ohm's Law only applicable to a limited region?

In summary: R=constant when T isn't changing".In summary, Ohm's law is a useful approximation for finding the voltage drop caused by a current through a resistor.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
anorlunda submitted a new PF Insights post

Ohm's Law Mellow

ohmslaw.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Engineering news on Phys.org
A question from Reddit

The ideal gas law doesn't apply for real gases. Is the ideal gas law then not a law?

Semantics..
Just like Moore's law (which is not a fundamental law of the universe),
or evolution theory (which so many have told me is "just a theory").

I have actually thought about this a number of times. I look at it from the perspective that ohms is simply a ratio. Sometimes the ratio holds true across a wide range of voltages and currents and with other materials not so much. We can nitpick about this from now until eternity I suppose.

Likes cabraham and vk6kro
...and we can think about the meaning of the form: V=I*R.
We are using this form to find the "voltage drop" caused by a current I that goes through the resistor R.
However, is it - physically spoken - correct to say that the current I is producing a voltage V across the resistor R ?
(Because an electrical field within the resistive body is a precondition for a current I, is it not?)

There are important distinctions between truly general laws and useful summaries that are technically approximations at best and in some ways more definitions of tautologies.

Coulomb's law is a true law of Physics.

Ohm's law is more of a definition of Ohmic materials. Ohmic materials obey Ohm's law. That's like saying "It works where it works" without having real predictive power regarding for what materials it will and won't work before the experiment is performed.

The ideal gas law is an approximation in a limiting case. In that sense, it is a true law of Physics, at least as much of Galileo's law of falling bodies.

Likes weirdoguy and dlgoff
Well, it's really semantics. I'd not say that Coulomb's law is "true law of physics" although I prefer the phrase "fundamental law". All physics laws are "true" in the sense that they are well tested by observations and in most cases have a restricted range of validity.

That said, I think that Coulomb's Law is, as Ohm's Law, a "derived law" from the fundamental laws of (quantum) electrodynamics. Coulomb's Law is the electrostatic field of a radially symmetric static charge distribution and of course derivable from Maxwell's equations. Ohm's Law is derived from linear-response theory of (quantum) electrodynamics. The electric conductivity is a bona-fide transport coefficient, definable in terms of the Kubo formula. The corresponding correlation function is the em. current-current correlator etc.

LvW said:
...and we can think about the meaning of the form: V=I*R.
We are using this form to find the "voltage drop" caused by a current I that goes through the resistor R.
However, is it - physically spoken - correct to say that the current I is producing a voltage V across the resistor R ?
(Because an electrical field within the resistive body is a precondition for a current I, is it not?)
We can determine the speed, distance, or rate (MPH/KPH) by knowing 2 of the 3. But, we certainly do not say that the length of the road causes motion of the vehicle. I see it is really no different with ohms law.

Likes cabraham
LvW said:

Not true in circuit analysis. That is why I added the last paragraph about 5 levels of study. In Maxwell's equations, we deal with the speed of propagation of fields (speed c in a vacuum). So there we can talk about which came first. In circuit analysis, Kirchoff's laws are assumed to apply instantaneously, so that the V and I appear simultaneously; no first/second. If you want to dig deeper into the physics of what happens first, then abandon circuit analysis, abandon Ohm's law, and use Maxwell's equations. Perhaps I should go back and add that bolded sentence to the article.

Likes cabraham
There is a major omission in this article.

Ohm's law can be derived from the Drude model of conduction in metals. This is the statistical classical model of electron gas in a conductor that connects the current density, the applied electric field, and the conductivity. Unfortunately, this origin is never mentioned in the article.

It is from this model that we can see the level of simplification, assumptions, and limitations of Ohm's Law, and thus, can also see when and where it will break down.

Zz.

Likes vanhees71
It's interesting that, in a thread that is trying to discuss Ohm's Law, no one seems to have mentioned Temperature. Ohm's Law is followed by a conductor when its Resistance (obtained from V/I) is independent of Temperature. "R=V/I" is not Ohms Law, any more than measuring the Stress/Strain characteristic of any old lump of material 'is' Hooke's Law.
In circuits, the 'resistive' components are not just designed to follow Ohm's Law (if they are metallic then they will easily do that); they are designed to have a more or less constant resistance over a large temperature range. That is, in fact, a Super Ohm's Law.

Likes cnh1995
The electric conductivity of course is a function of temperature and chemical potential (for an anisotropic material it's even a tensor).

Likes cabraham
vanhees71 said:
The electric conductivity of course is a function of temperature and chemical potential (for an anisotropic material it's even a tensor).
Yes. But Ohm's Law specifically refers to Metals at a constant temperature, doesn't it? Your point has been ignored by the contributions to this thread.

Likes cabraham and vanhees71
Well, yes, that's why I wrote this posting :-).

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
Yes. But Ohm's Law specifically refers to Metals at a constant temperature, doesn't it? Your point has been ignored by the contributions to this thread.

I beg to differ. By invoking Drude model, I have implicitly invoked temperature dependence.

However, to be fair to the OP, Ohm's law in the "practical" sense is often used when the resistance is a constant. Thus, it has already implied that temperature effects are not described within the Ohm's law relationship. I do not see this as being a problem, because this might easily be beyond the scope of this topic.

However, since the OP discussed the "non-derivable" issue, and did not even mention the Drude model, I consider that to be a significant omission.

Edit: I found this post made by me from way back in 2007 on the exact topic:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/derive-ohms-law.179056/#post-1392205

So this has been discussed A LOT over the years.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
One should also mention that the Drude model is not the final answer but that the "electron theory of metals" is one of the first examples for a degenerate Fermi gas (Sommerfeld model). The model was extended by Sommerfeld, explaining the correct relation between electric and heat conductivity (Wiedemann-Franz law).

vanhees71 said:
One should also mention that the Drude model is not the final answer but that the "electron theory of metals" is one of the first examples for a degenerate Fermi gas (Sommerfeld model). The model was extended by Sommerfeld, explaining the correct relation between electric and heat conductivity (Wiedemann-Franz law).

Again, we can take this to a million different level of complexities, but this is certainly well beyond the scope of this topic. I mean, just look at Ashcroft and Mermin's text. They started off with the Drude model in Chapter 1, and by Chapter 3, they talked about the "Failures of the Free Electron Model", which was the foundation of the Drude Model.

So yes, we can haul this topic into multi-level complexities if we want, but we shouldn't.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
However, since the OP discussed the "non-derivable" issue, and did not even mention the Drude model, I consider that to be a significant omission.

It sounds like you didn't read to the end. The article does mention the Dude model as one of five levels at which you can study electricity. It also says that the scope of the article was limited to circuit analysis.

anorlunda said:
It sounds like you didn't read to the end. The article does mention the Dude model as one of five levels at which you can study electricity. It also says that the scope of the article was limited to circuit analysis.

I did see your link to it, but if you read your main article, it left the impression that Ohm's law is not derivable, that it is purely phenomenological. That is what I was objecting to.

BTW, the Drude model is not a model for "electricity". It is a model to describe the behavior of conduction electrons. It means that it gives you the definition and the origin of physical quantities such as resistance, current, etc. Charge transport, i.e. "electricity", is more often described via the Boltzmann transport equation.

Zz.

Likes sophiecentaur and dlgoff
LvW said:
However, is it... correct to say that the current I is producing a voltage V across the resistor R ?

Yes, if it's an applied voltage. A voltage drop (symbol V) occurs when current passes through the resistor.
Conversely, with a voltage source, EMF (symbol E) produces the current that passes through the resistor.

Last edited:
Likes cabraham
Remember, tho', the Voltage is the Energy supply for the charge flow. If you really want a cause and effect, I would say the Voltage causes the current. But in circuits, a voltage somewhere else can cause current to flow which will result in a portion of the supply volts appearing across a resistor. That's K2.

Last edited:
Likes LvW
And in the former, energy is supplied. In the latter, energy is consumed.

Likes cabraham and sophiecentaur
Ohms law is based on an ideal world for students. All conductors have a complex impedance based on frequency, temperature, resistance, inductance and capacitance. These vary depending on how cables are run adjacent to each other, even climatic conditions can come into play etc. It isn't an ideal world, even a straight piece of wire has typically 10mH per metre. The complex impedances in a conductor become significant when switching very high currents quickly.

The relation ##R=\frac{V}{I}## is not Ohm's Law. Rather, it's the definition of ##R##.

Ohm's Law is the assertion that over a range of voltages, ##R## is constant.

Like all laws, it has limits of validity. There is no such thing as a law with universal limits of validity. Hooke's Law is an example of a law that can be compared to Ohm's Law when teaching this concept of limited validity.

Likes Averagesupernova
The article "Ohm's law Mellow" address a very impotent issue, Yet there is no evidence for violation of Ohm's law (within the limit of ohm's law). I think the confusion comes from the fact that textbook do not elaborates on the preliminary assumptions under which Ohm's law valid.

anorlunda said:
anorlunda submitted a new PF Insights post

Ohm's Law Mellow

ohmslaw.png
Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.
I disagree to the general Idea that Ohm's Law is not a law, yet I strongly support the importance of this issue which I think boils down to the very basics philosophy of what is a physical law, what are the therms under which it consider violated.
Following the article spirit, I would recommend title like: Ohm's hypothesis or even better - Ohm's convention.
I understood the solar device is given in order to provide real example for violation of ohm's law. But it is not. the rectification profiles comes from a diode like element in the equivalent circulate. Up to date there is no system that violates "Ohm's law" . Note for example that Memristor, Thermistor, Warburg element or any constant phase (CPE) or non-CPE do not violates Ohm's law.

There are no rigid rules in science about the use of words like law, rule, theory, etc, so we are free to disagree

I view the definition of R as the ratio of V and I. As a definition, it can't be violated by definition (pun intended :wink:)

Newton's Laws and the conservation laws are all derivable from the fundamental symmetries of nature. I resist the idea of making Ohms Law comparable with those. But if you want to call it a law, go ahead and knock yourself out. But don't complain if I prefer different words.

Ohm's Law is derived from many-body theory. It's defining a typical transport coefficient in the sense of linear-response theory. It's the "answer" of the medium to applying an electromagnetic field, and defines the electric conductivity in terms of the induced current, ##\vec{j}=\sigma \vec{E}##, where in general ##\sigma## is a tensor and depends on the frequency of the applied field. So Ohm's Law is a derived law and has its limit of validity (particularly the strength of the electromagnetic field must not be too large in order to stay in the regime of linear-response theory).

anorlunda said:
I view the definition of R as the ratio of V and I. As a definition, it can't be violated by definition (pun intended :wink:)
I wholeheartedly agree. It's a formula / definition and says nothing about whether or not Ohm's law happens to apply to what's connected to the terminals on the 'black box' we're examining. R could change, or not as V,I or T changes. If it doesn't happen to change then the component is not following Ohm's Law. But one calculation wouldn't tell you one way or the other.
This puts me in mind of the SUVAT equations with which we learned to calculate motion under constant acceleration. We don't refer to them them as 'Laws' of motion and we wouldn't dream of suggesting that a measurement of the change in velocity of an object in a given time would be the same under all conditions. But somehow, R=V/I is referred to as Ohm's Law. Teachers and lecturers can be very sloppy about these things. Aamof, I don't remember the constant acceleration thing being emphasised to me in SUVAT learning days, either. They just drew a V/t triangle and did some calculations. It left me uneasy for quite a long while. But teenagers feel 'uneasy' about a lot of things so it was actually the last of my worries.

vanhees71 said:
Ohm's Law is derived from many-body theory. It's defining a typical transport coefficient in the sense of linear-response theory. It's the "answer" of the medium to applying an electromagnetic field, and defines the electric conductivity in terms of the induced current, ##\vec{j}=\sigma \vec{E}##, where in general ##\sigma## is a tensor and depends on the frequency of the applied field. So Ohm's Law is a derived law and has its limit of validity (particularly the strength of the electromagnetic field must not be too large in order to stay in the regime of linear-response theory).

That's true for the specialized case of a linear and uniform mediums. The article addresses the general case of circuits containing any components, linear/nonlinear, active/passive. As the article says, you can always linearize about a point, define R=V/I, then use linear circuit methods to solve it.

vanhees71 said:
That's ramping it up a bit for a number of the audience, I think. But also, if σ changes with some other variable, the relationship breaks down so any 'Law' has hit the rails. A Law that's worth its salt will involve all the relevant variables - Ohm's law, when stated fully, fits that requirement.

anorlunda said:
That's true for the specialized case of a linear and uniform mediums. The article addresses the general case of circuits containing any components, linear/nonlinear, active/passive. As the article says, you can always linearize about a point, define R=V/I, then use linear circuit methods to solve it.
It's true for any medium in the linear-response regime. More completely written out the relation reads
$$\tilde{\vec{j}}(\omega,\vec{k})=\hat{\sigma}(\omega,\vec{k}) \tilde{\vec{E}}(\omega,\vec{k}),$$
where we have Fourier-transformed fields in the frequency-wave-number domain, and ##\hat{\sigma}## is a complex-valued symmetric 2nd-rank tensor obeying the analytic structure in the complex ##\omega## plane such that it is a retarded propagator.

If you have "active" elements and non-linearities, you have to extend the approximation beyond the linear-response level, as far as I know.

sophiecentaur said:
That's ramping it up a bit for a number of the audience, I think. But also, if σ changes with some other variable, the relationship breaks down so any 'Law' has hit the rails. A Law that's worth its salt will involve all the relevant variables - Ohm's law, when stated fully, fits that requirement.
I don't know, what you mean. Electric conductivity is a typical transport coefficient, describing the response of the medium to a small perturbation around equilibrium (in this case by a weak electromagnetic field). It's restricted to weak fields in order to stay in the linear-response regime. Of course, it has a range of validity, as has any physical law (except the ones we call "fundamental", because we don't know the validity ranges yet ;-)).

Likes LvW
vanhees71 said:
I don't know, what you mean. Electric conductivity is a typical transport coefficient, describing the response of the medium to a small perturbation around equilibrium (in this case by a weak electromagnetic field). It's restricted to weak fields in order to stay in the linear-response regime. Of course, it has a range of validity, as has any physical law (except the ones we call "fundamental", because we don't know the validity ranges yet ;-)).
I just meant that your wording and representation takes it to a higher level of understanding and familiarity. Of course the equation is correct - but it doesn't pretend to be a Law. By the time one gets to the level that you are using to describe what happens, I doubt that one would bring in the term Law.
But I guess this will never lie down as it falls within the overlap between higher level Physics and down to Earth practicalities; the two have different agendas.

David Lewis said:
Yes, if it's an applied voltage. A voltage drop (symbol V) occurs when current passes through the resistor.
Conversely, with a voltage source, EMF (symbol E) produces the current that passes through the resistor.
Isn't that just a chicken and egg argument for describing a 'relationship' between two variables?

Likes cabraham
<h2>1. Why is Ohm's Law only applicable to a limited region?</h2><p>Ohm's Law is only applicable to a limited region because it assumes that the resistance of a material remains constant. In reality, the resistance of a material can change depending on factors such as temperature, material composition, and applied voltage. Therefore, Ohm's Law is only accurate for materials that exhibit linear behavior within a certain range of voltage and current.</p><h2>2. What is the limited region in which Ohm's Law is applicable?</h2><p>The limited region in which Ohm's Law is applicable is the linear region of a material's current-voltage relationship. This region is characterized by a constant resistance, meaning that the ratio of voltage to current remains the same regardless of the applied voltage. Outside of this region, the resistance of a material may change and Ohm's Law is no longer accurate.</p><h2>3. Can Ohm's Law be applied to all materials?</h2><p>No, Ohm's Law cannot be applied to all materials. It is only applicable to materials that exhibit linear behavior within a certain range of voltage and current. Materials such as semiconductors and diodes do not follow Ohm's Law and require different equations to describe their behavior.</p><h2>4. Why is it important to understand the limitations of Ohm's Law?</h2><p>Understanding the limitations of Ohm's Law is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of electrical circuits and avoid potential errors. By knowing when Ohm's Law is applicable, we can select the appropriate equations and models to use for different materials and circuit components.</p><h2>5. Are there any exceptions to Ohm's Law?</h2><p>Yes, there are exceptions to Ohm's Law. As mentioned earlier, materials such as semiconductors and diodes do not follow Ohm's Law. Additionally, there are certain materials and circuit components that may exhibit non-linear behavior even within the limited region where Ohm's Law is applicable. These exceptions must be taken into account when analyzing and designing electrical circuits.</p>

1. Why is Ohm's Law only applicable to a limited region?

Ohm's Law is only applicable to a limited region because it assumes that the resistance of a material remains constant. In reality, the resistance of a material can change depending on factors such as temperature, material composition, and applied voltage. Therefore, Ohm's Law is only accurate for materials that exhibit linear behavior within a certain range of voltage and current.

2. What is the limited region in which Ohm's Law is applicable?

The limited region in which Ohm's Law is applicable is the linear region of a material's current-voltage relationship. This region is characterized by a constant resistance, meaning that the ratio of voltage to current remains the same regardless of the applied voltage. Outside of this region, the resistance of a material may change and Ohm's Law is no longer accurate.

3. Can Ohm's Law be applied to all materials?

No, Ohm's Law cannot be applied to all materials. It is only applicable to materials that exhibit linear behavior within a certain range of voltage and current. Materials such as semiconductors and diodes do not follow Ohm's Law and require different equations to describe their behavior.

4. Why is it important to understand the limitations of Ohm's Law?

Understanding the limitations of Ohm's Law is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of electrical circuits and avoid potential errors. By knowing when Ohm's Law is applicable, we can select the appropriate equations and models to use for different materials and circuit components.

5. Are there any exceptions to Ohm's Law?

Yes, there are exceptions to Ohm's Law. As mentioned earlier, materials such as semiconductors and diodes do not follow Ohm's Law. Additionally, there are certain materials and circuit components that may exhibit non-linear behavior even within the limited region where Ohm's Law is applicable. These exceptions must be taken into account when analyzing and designing electrical circuits.