Okay, now if you'll excuse me, I have a date.

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, "Okay, now if you'll excuse me, I have a date." is a phrase commonly used to politely excuse oneself from a conversation or social setting because the speaker has a romantic engagement or date to attend. While it can also be used in a casual or humorous way, it is most commonly associated with romantic contexts. The exact origin of the phrase is unknown, but it likely originated from the idea of being "excused" to go on a date. Whether or not it is considered rude to use this phrase depends on the context and relationship between the speaker and the person they are speaking to. It is not typically used in a professional setting and it is best to use more formal language in such settings.
Smurf
Last Exam, just got out.

WOOOOHOOOO!

Okay, now if you'll excuse me, I have a date.

Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats! :cool:

Congrats, Smurf! You've been kind of quiet for a while.

yay, Smurfy-smurf! I thought it had been awful quiet around here.

Date? :grumpy: (invalidates all of smurfs GOOBF cards)

just kidding,

they were already invalid :biggrin:

Yay for Smurf! :smile:

Man Smurf that was a bad move! Admitting you have a date, now Evo knows! Congrats on finishing your exams :smile:

1. What does "Okay, now if you'll excuse me, I have a date." mean?

This phrase is typically used to politely excuse oneself from a conversation or social setting because the speaker has a romantic engagement or date to attend.

2. Is this phrase always used in a romantic context?

No, it can also be used in a casual or humorous way to imply that the speaker has something else to attend to, but it is most commonly used in a romantic context.

3. What is the origin of this phrase?

The exact origin is unknown, but it likely originated from the idea of a person being "excused" from their current activity or conversation to go on a date.

4. Is it considered rude to use this phrase?

It depends on the context and the relationship between the speaker and the person they are speaking to. In some situations, it may be seen as rude or dismissive, but in others it may be seen as a polite way to excuse oneself.

5. Can this phrase be used in a professional setting?

It is not typically used in a professional setting, as it is more commonly associated with personal or social engagements. It is best to use more formal language in a professional setting.