How can I solve \frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{y}{x}=\frac{y^2}{x^2} for x>0?

• Thread starter skook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
Can you solve it for v(x)?In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of solving the equation \frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{y}{x}=\frac{y^2}{x^2} for x>0. The expert suggested using the substitution v= \frac{y}{x} and solving the resulting equation x\frac{dv}{dx}= v^2+ v. The conversation also mentioned that the solution y=-\frac{x}{\ln{Cx}} is from an Open University course and that the problem is related to a first year maths course.
skook
Could someone please just give me a hint to get started.
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{y}{x}=\frac{y^2}{x^2} for x>0[/tex]
thanks
Skook

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} - \frac{y}{x} = \frac{{y^2 }}{{x^2 }} \Rightarrow \frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = \left( {\frac{y}{x}} \right) + \left( {\frac{y}{x}} \right)^2
[/tex]

Let y = v(x)x. Is this a standard substitution for the subject you are studying?

thanks for that

I hope the solution is [tex]y=-\frac{x}{\ln{Cx}}[/tex]. It was from an Open University course (http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C02MS324) . First maths course I've done in over 25 years...

Last edited by a moderator:
:approve: I think so, too

skook said:
Could someone please just give me a hint to get started.
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{y}{x}=\frac{y^2}{x^2} for x>0[/tex]
thanks
Skook
Since x and y only appear together as y/x, try the obvious substitution: Introduce a new dependent variable [itex]v= \frac{y}{x}[/itex].

Then y= vx so [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}= x\frac{dv}{dx}+ v[/itex]

Your equation becomes
[tex]x\frac{dv}{dx}- v= v^2[/tex] or
[tex]x\frac{dv}{dx}= v^2+ v[/tex]
a separable equation.

Related to How can I solve \frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{y}{x}=\frac{y^2}{x^2} for x>0?

What is an "old exam question"?

An "old exam question" refers to a question that has been used on a previous examination, typically in the same subject or course.

Why are "old exam questions" important?

"Old exam questions" are important because they give students an idea of the types of questions that may be asked on future exams. This can help students prepare and study more effectively.

Do professors reuse "old exam questions"?

It is possible for professors to reuse "old exam questions", but most will make some changes to the question or use it as a basis for a new question. This is to prevent students from simply memorizing answers and to ensure fairness for all students.

How can I access "old exam questions"?

There are a few ways to access "old exam questions". Some professors or departments may make them available online or in a physical location, such as a library. You can also ask previous students or join study groups to access old exams. However, it is important to note that not all professors allow access to old exams.

Can studying "old exam questions" guarantee a good grade?

No, studying "old exam questions" does not guarantee a good grade. While it can give you an idea of what to expect, it is important to also understand the material and be able to apply it in different ways. It is best to use "old exam questions" as a supplement to your studying, not the sole source of preparation.