On The Length of a Meter Stick

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a single meter stick can be one meter per A and less than a meter per B, and if this is a simple paradox. A and B are observers in different frames and give differing answers for the length. The conversation also touches on the relativity of simultaneity and how space and time mean different things in different frames. The conversation ends with the conclusion that there is no contradiction and the topic is resolved in discussions of relativity.
DJ_Juggernaut
Can a single meter stick be one meter per A and less than a meter per B? If so, isn't this is a simple paradox? Does anyone here see it that way?

Physics news on Phys.org
DJ_Juggernaut said:
Can a single meter stick be one meter per A and less than a meter per B?
What are A and B?
DJ_Juggernaut said:
If so, isn't this is a simple paradox?
Why?

A and B are observers in different frames. A is moving, B is stationary relative to the meter stick. B says, the length is one meter. While, A says, the length is less than a meter. This is a simple paradox. Does anyone here see it that way?

A.T. said:
Why?
Because A and B give differing answers for the length.

This is just your regular length contraction paradox and it is resolved essentially everywhere relativity is discussed in any meaningful manner. You will only think it is a paradox if you do not take into account that space and time mean different things in different inertial frames - including the relativity of simultaneity.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
A and B are observers in different frames. A is moving, B is stationary relative to the meter stick. B says, the length is one meter. While, A says, the length is less than a meter. This is a simple paradox. Does anyone here see it that way?

If you don't believe in SR then that's your prerogative. But, there's no point posting here.

This site is for those who want to learn SR, not those who want to dispute it.

Likes Dale
Orodruin said:
You will only think it is a paradox if you do not take into account that space and time mean different things in different inertial frames - including the relativity of simultaneity.
Regardless, A and B still give different answers for the length of a meter stick. Is it not self-contradictory to you?

DJ_Juggernaut said:
Regardless, the A and B still give different answers for the length of a meter stick. Is it not self-contradictory to you?
Again, you are clearly not even bothering to understand why this is so. If you understood the theory, you would understand that it is not self-contradictory.

PeroK said:
This site is for those who want to learn SR, not those who want to dispute it.
I am not disputing it. I am asking whether anyone here sees a self-contradiction here. You can just say NO or YES. I will be on my way.

So let me ask you this: You have a meter stick parallel to the x-axis. It is one meter in the direction of the x-axis. Now you rotate it 60 degrees and it is 0.5 meters in the direction of the x-axis. Is this self-contradictory?

Orodruin, you still did not answer my question. If A says, the stick is one meter and B says, the stick is less than a meter. Is it not a self-contradiction?

DJ_Juggernaut said:
I am not disputing it. I am asking whether anyone here sees a self-contradiction here. You can just say NO or YES. I will be on my way.

I see no contradiction.

PeroK said:
I see no contradiction.
Okay. So, I send two observes to record the length of a stick and they both come back with different answers and that's not a contradiction. Okay. LOL. I am done.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
This is a simple paradox.
If it's so simple, why can't you explain what is paradoxical about it?
DJ_Juggernaut said:
Does anyone here see it that way?
No. A meter stick measures length in the frame where it is at rest. In frames where it moves it doesn't have to be 1 meter.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
Orodruin, you still did not answer my question. If A says, the stick is one meter and B says, the stick is less than a meter. Is it not a self-contradiction?
No, it is not and you refusing to even trying to understand this is quite telling.

A.T. said:
A meter stick measures length in the frame where it is at rest. In frames where it moves it doesn't have to be 1 meter.
LOL. Okay.

A.T. said:
If it's so simple, why can't you explain what is paradoxical about it?
Read above, I have already stated my position. I think I get the picture. I don't think anyone here sees a contradiction even though A and B come back with differing answers.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
LOL. Okay.

You are here to learn, or to just lol at others? What is your point?

Likes PeroK
weirdoguy said:
You are here to learn, or to just lol at others? What is your point?
Oh, I learned alright. I am done with this thread. I am quite satisfied with the responses I got. I thank all who responded.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
Oh, I learned alright. I am done with this thread. I am quite satisfied with the responses I got. I thank all who responded.

Summary:
Orodruin said:
This is just your regular length contraction paradox and it is resolved essentially everywhere relativity is discussed in any meaningful manner.
A.T. said:
No. A meter stick measures length in the frame where it is at rest. In frames where it moves it doesn't have to be 1 meter.

Thread closed.

1. What is the purpose of a meter stick?

A meter stick is a measuring tool used to accurately measure length in the metric system. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and everyday tasks such as measuring the length of objects or distances.

2. How long is a meter stick?

A meter stick is exactly 1 meter in length, which is equivalent to 100 centimeters or 1000 millimeters.

3. How accurate is a meter stick?

A meter stick is designed to be accurate to within 1 millimeter. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the quality and condition of the meter stick.

4. Can a meter stick be used to measure other units of length?

Yes, a meter stick can also be used to measure smaller units of length, such as centimeters and millimeters, by using the markings on the stick. It can also be used to measure larger units, such as kilometers, by using multiple meter sticks.

5. How is a meter stick calibrated?

A meter stick is calibrated by comparing it to a standard meter, which is a physical object that is exactly 1 meter in length. The markings on the meter stick are then adjusted accordingly to ensure accuracy.