1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One-dimensional integration - flux

1. Aug 6, 2017 #1
    <Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

Calculate flux of the vector field $$F=(-y, x, z^2)$$ through the tetraeder $$T(ABCD)$$ with the corner points $$A= (\frac{3}{2}, 0, 0), B= (0, \frac{\sqrt 3}{2},0), C = (0, -\frac{\sqrt 3}{2},0), D = (\frac{1}{2},0 , \sqrt 2)$$ by one dimensional integrtion.

I calculated div, where $$divF = 2z$$

I can see from the points distribution that $$z\in [0,\sqrt 2] $$ And according to theorem of Gauss I should apply this formula.

$$\iiint_TdivFdv$$

How can I seperate the integrals to get one dimensional?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The tetrahedron they give you has its base it the x-y plane. What is the area of the base? Can you write an expression for the cross-sectional area ## A (z) ## as a function of z, so that ## dv= d^3x=A(z) dz ##? All you need then is to proceed with the integral. ## \\ ## Additional comment: I believe this post might belong in the homework section. If it is homework/schoolwork, please use the Homework section with the homework template on future posts. Thanks. :)

4. Aug 7, 2017 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted