One-Dimensional Kinematics: Height vs Time

In summary, the problem involves finding the initial velocity and acceleration of a scenario taking place on the planet Zoot. The first part of the question can be solved by using the equation s = 1/2 at^2 + u*t, while the second part can be solved using u^2 = v^2 - 2*a*s. The key is to use the correct value for acceleration, which is not necessarily 9.8 m/s^2 in scenarios not taking place on Earth.
rdn98
This problem has a picture. You can view it at http://www.geocities.com/rockdog_84/One.htm

Ok. Maybe I'm missing something here, but for part one, I thought free-fall acceleration would be 9.8 m/s^2. Of course, computer didn't take it, so is there a way to find it from the graph?

As for the second part of the question, I thought initial velocity is 0, but its not the right answer. :-(
I guess another way to find initial velocity would be take the derivative of x(t) when t = 0, but I don't know the equation for this problem.

Any insight is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
9.8 m/s^2 is the correct acceleration due to gravity on Earth, however the scenario in question takes place on the planet Zoot. If a question does not take place on Earth, then that is a big red flag that acceleration due to gravity is NOT 9.8 m/s^2.

You can figure out g by using s = 1/2 at^2 + u*t (Take the second half of the graph where u is 0).

Once you know g, you can use u^2 = v^2 - 2*a*s to find the final velocity. (Take the first half of the graph this time so v = 0)
Note: -
u = initial velocity
v = final velocity
t = time
a = acceleration
s = displacement

Claude.

big thanks!

Man, I would never have thought of that! Thank you so much.

1. What is one-dimensional kinematics?

One-dimensional kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects along a straight line. It focuses on the variables of time, displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between height and displacement in one-dimensional kinematics?

In one-dimensional kinematics, height refers to the vertical position of an object, while displacement refers to the change in position of an object. Height is measured from a fixed reference point, while displacement is measured from the initial position of the object.

3. How is time represented in one-dimensional kinematics?

Time is represented by the variable t in one-dimensional kinematics equations. It is typically measured in seconds and is used to calculate the change in position of an object over a certain period of time.

4. What is the equation for calculating velocity in one-dimensional kinematics?

The equation for calculating velocity in one-dimensional kinematics is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's height in one-dimensional kinematics?

Acceleration affects an object's height in one-dimensional kinematics by changing the object's velocity. If an object is accelerating upwards, its height will increase at a faster rate. If an object is accelerating downwards, its height will decrease at a faster rate.