Proving Trig Identity: Secx - Tanxsinx = cosx Explained | One More Example

In summary, the conversation was about a student struggling with proving a trig identity involving secant, tangent, and sine. Through their attempts at solving it, they arrived at the simplified form of cosx, with the help of recognizing a familiar trig identity.
chops369

Homework Statement

I'm finally starting to understand proving trig identities, but I have just one more that I can't seem to figure out.

secx - tanxsinx = cosx

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well first, I multiplied the tanx and sinx and came up with sin2x / cosx
Now I'm stuck. I'm trying to do 1/cosx - sin2x / cosx
Would the GCF be (cosx)(cosx) or just cosx, I'm drawing a blank here. I'm debating whether or not to change the sin2x to 1 - cos2x, but even if I do, I can't figure out how that would simplify to just cosx

Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost there[tex]\frac{1}{\cos x}-\frac{\sin^2x}{\cos x}=\frac{1}{\cos x}(1-\sin^2x)[/tex]. You should notice something very familiar now.

So would it simplify to cos2x / cosx, which would then simplify to cosx for my answer?

Yep it's that easy!

1. What is the purpose of learning trig identities?

Trig identities are used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions and equations. They are essential for solving complex problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How many trig identities are there?

There are countless trig identities, but there are a few fundamental ones that are commonly used in mathematics. These include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities.

3. How do I prove a trig identity?

To prove a trig identity, you need to use algebraic manipulation and the properties of trigonometric functions. You can also use other identities as a starting point for your proof. It is important to keep in mind that the goal of proving a trig identity is to show that both sides of the equation are equal.

4. Can I use trig identities to solve equations?

Yes, trig identities can be used to solve equations involving trigonometric functions. By manipulating the equations using identities, you can simplify them and solve for the unknown variable. However, it is important to use the correct identity for the given equation.

5. How can I remember all the trig identities?

It can be challenging to memorize all the trig identities, but with practice, they can become more familiar. Additionally, understanding the properties and patterns of trigonometric functions can help you derive the identities when needed. Writing them down and reviewing them regularly can also help with memorization.