Solving a Diatomic Ideal Gas Problem: Find Temp & Energy Transfer

• Thread starter burgerkin
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, you are right. The work done by the gas is W = -PΔV, where ΔV is the change in volume. Since the pressure is proportional to the volume, P = kV, where k is a constant. So we can write W = -kVΔV. And since we know that Vf = 6Vi, we can substitute that into the equation for work and get W = -k(6Vi - Vi) = -5kVi. In summary, a cylinder with a moving piston holds 3.50 mol of a diatomic ideal gas at an initial volume of Vi and temperature of Ti. After being placed on a heat plate and additional weights being added, the final
burgerkin

Homework Statement

A cylindar w/ a moving piston holds 3.50 mol of a diatomic ideal gas. The initial vol. is Vi, and its temperature is Ti. Then the cylinder is set on a heat plate and additional weights are placed onto the piston as it moves up, and pressure is proportional to the volume and the final volume is 6Vi.

1, Find the final Temperature

2, find the energy transfer by heat

Homework Equations

pv =nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part, the answer is Tf = 36 Ti

For second part, I thought it was straight forward, but the answer was wrong

I did :

Q=n Cv (Tf-Ti) = 3.5 x (5/2) R x 35 Ti =306.25 RTi

but the correct answer is 367.5 RTi

what did I do wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
please help. thanks!

You forgot to account for the work done by the gas as it expanded. You correctly accounted for the internal energy change, but some of the energy went into lifting the weights.

oh i see. I was confused about heat and Q.

So the energy transfer by heat means the energy that caused the increase in temperature and the energy that the gas expands--work done by gas.

So E =Q +W
E=nCv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

but how do I calculate Work? What kind of expansion is this. I see volume, pressure, temperature all change, so i do not know how to get work.

Read the problem: "pressure is proportional to the volume" How do you calculate the work of the gas?

ehild

W= -P(Vf-Vi) ?

i am not sure what does it imply" P is proportional to V..

I don't think I understand the physics of this well. sO THE presssure is the pressure of the gas? As it is heated up, it expands, then pressure should be decreasing, isn't it? But yet this is not a free expansion.

It is usually assumed that the pressure of the gas is balanced by the pressure of the external forces, here the atmospheric pressure and that of the weights put on the piston gradually. Work is

W=∫PdV from Vi to Vf and P=const*V.

ehild

press is proportional to volume
so let's ay press = k x vol
now work done is dw = (integral) p x dv
pure math actually not much physics

1. How do you calculate the temperature of a diatomic ideal gas?

The temperature of a diatomic ideal gas can be calculated using the equation T= (2/3)*(E/Nk), where E is the total energy, N is the number of particles, and k is the Boltzmann constant.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used to solve diatomic gas problems?

The ideal gas law is PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature. This equation can be used to solve diatomic gas problems by rearranging it to solve for temperature (T) and then substituting in the given values for pressure, volume, and number of moles.

3. How is energy transfer calculated in a diatomic ideal gas system?

The energy transfer in a diatomic ideal gas system can be calculated using the equation Q = nCv(T2-T1), where Q is the energy transfer, n is the number of moles, Cv is the specific heat capacity at constant volume, and T2 and T1 are the final and initial temperatures, respectively.

4. Can the temperature of a diatomic ideal gas change without any energy transfer?

No, the temperature of a diatomic ideal gas cannot change without any energy transfer. This is because the temperature of a gas is directly proportional to its internal energy, so any change in temperature must be accompanied by a corresponding change in energy.

5. What are some assumptions made when solving a diatomic ideal gas problem?

Some assumptions made when solving a diatomic ideal gas problem include that the gas particles behave according to the ideal gas law, there are no intermolecular forces or collisions between particles, and the particles are point masses with no volume. Additionally, the gas is assumed to be in thermal equilibrium and the process is assumed to be reversible.