What is the range and one-to-one condition for functions f, h, and g?

In summary, the student is trying to determine if a function is one-to-one and its range, but is having difficulty understanding concepts related to the definition of a function. The student is also having difficulty understanding what the range of a function might be.
allinurl

Homework Statement

f : R+ → R+ defined by f(x) = 2x
h : R+ → N defined by h(x) = ⌊x⌋ (the largest integer ≤ x)
g : 2ᴿ → 2ᴿ defined by g(A) = A ∪ [0,1]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that every element of the domain has to correspond to exactly one element on the co-domain {range?}. But not sure how to determine if it satisfies the condition of one-to-one and its range.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that every element of the domain has to correspond to exactly one element on the co-domain {range?}

Ok, that's the definition of a function. The definition of one-to-one is that every element in the range corresponds to exactly one element in the domain. For example, in number 2. Is there more than one x such that h(x)=1?

I would say that there is only one which is x=1. If I always plug the same number to the x1 and x2, the answer seems to be always same. for example,

if h(x₁) = h(x₂), then ⌊x₁⌋ = ⌊x₂⌋, so x₁ = x₂ This is why I'm confused.

Am I correct?

⌊1.2⌋=⌊1.1⌋?

no, ⌊1.2⌋ is not equal to ⌊1.1⌋, but if so it means ⌊x₁⌋ is not equal to ⌊x₂⌋. In definition, the function if injective if a≠ b, then f(a)≠ f(b). So, is it one-to-one function?

I'm confused. What are ⌊1.1⌋ and ⌊1.2⌋ then? I would have though they're both 1

What is the greatest integer less than or equal to 1.2?
What is the greatest integer less than or equal to 1.1?

These are unequal?

--Elucidus

oh~ok. I got that now. If so, in this case, ⌊x₁⌋ ≠ ⌊x₂⌋ but h(x₁) = h(x₂). I can say it is not one-to-one function. Correct?
I also have to say its range, how can I put?

And also, I have a problem to define A ∪ [0,1]. I know [0,1] means the set [xɛR | 0 ≤x ≤1]. But then, I'm not sure what I have to do..

allinurl said:
oh~ok. I got that now. If so, in this case, ⌊x₁⌋ ≠ ⌊x₂⌋ but h(x₁) = h(x₂). I can say it is not one-to-one function. Correct?
I also have to say its range, how can I put?

h(x₁) = h(x₂)

this is equivalent to
⌊x₁⌋ = ⌊x₂⌋

Since h(x) = ⌊x⌋

I think you need to review the definition of greatest integer less than or equal to.

The same thing for the third part... it looks like you're unclear with concepts that your class is assuming you're familiar with. I highly recommend that you find out when you can go see your teacher for out of class help to catch you up to speed with the rest of the class

1. What is a one-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a type of mathematical function where each element in the domain is paired with exactly one element in the range. This means that for every input, there is a unique output and no two inputs can have the same output.

2. How can you determine if a function is one-to-one?

A function can be determined as one-to-one by using the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one. However, if the line only intersects the graph at one point, then the function is one-to-one.

3. What is the range of a one-to-one function?

The range of a one-to-one function is the set of all possible output values or y-coordinates. It can also be described as the set of all values that the function can output.

4. Can a function be both one-to-one and onto?

Yes, a function can be both one-to-one and onto. A function is onto when every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. When a function is both one-to-one and onto, it is called a bijection.

5. How can you find the inverse of a one-to-one function?

To find the inverse of a one-to-one function, you can switch the roles of the domain and range. This means that the input becomes the output and the output becomes the input. The resulting function is the inverse of the original one-to-one function.