One Week to Physics GRE 2016: Tips from past exam takers?

In summary, as the Physics GRE is only a week away, it is recommended to focus on targeted preparation and identify weak areas to work on. It is also important to memorize equations and understand scaling. Some students may find it helpful to take a timed exam, but it is important to be aware of time constraints during the actual exam. It is advised to start preparing for the exam from the first day of freshman year and to work on all assigned homework problems. Finally, it is important to communicate any concerns or issues during the exam, such as the lack of visible clocks, to the appropriate authorities.
NucEngMajor
There's about one week to the Physics GRE. I've worked through all five past exams and corrected mistakes. What would those of you that scored well recommend I do in this last week or so before the exam? Should I retake the five exams timed? Work through the 500 exam questions slowly? Just review notes? I found out there is a book for the GRE: "Conquering the Physics GRE" but it's kind of last minute now. I've also found taking the day before an exam to yourself rather than cramming helps me stay refreshed for the day of the exam. Any tips would be appreciated. Good luck to all

Physics news on Phys.org
Start preparing the first day of your freshman year.

Your professors will assign lots of problems to help you.

They are called homework problems. Work them all.

Don't wait until the last minute. Work hard every day for four years, and you'll be ready.

Once a student is a month or less out, more targeted preparation is required.

Recognize your weak areas and work on those, especially if your weak areas align with sub-fields that make up a significant percentage of the PGRE.

One thing that really irked me about the exam that I took in October was that the clock was behind us and they didn't allow even old fashion watches. They only gave a twenty-minute warning and that was all. When the exam ended I was about to pencil in two answers that I know were right, totally thought I had at least 5 minutes but it just flew by. I didn't want to turn around to check the time because they are so strict about anything I didn't want my exam taken away.

When I told one of my professors he thought I should write them a letter, I didn't really see the point though. Luckily I am fairly satisfied with my score (790).

Likes Dr. Courtney
Your last week might be used to memorize equations if you haven't already done so. Proportionality constants aren't necessary, but just the scaling of things is definitely worth memorizing. It may also be good to take an exam timed, but likely one that you haven't done yet.

Oops I typed all that out about my experience and forgot my advice, which is, if you can't see a clock I'd complain! Or ask if maybe they could do like a 2 minute warning. If I had had that I would have gone back and bubbled in one of the questions I realized I messed up on, and I would have rushed the final question I was working on. As I had gotten the answer and was just moving to my sheet when she called time, was too scared to quickly bubble it in while she said her first 1-2 words.

1. How should I prepare for the Physics GRE?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to preparing for the Physics GRE. However, past exam takers have recommended studying all the major topics covered on the exam, practicing with past exams, and familiarizing yourself with the format and timing of the exam.

2. How important is it to study past exams for the Physics GRE?

Studying past exams is crucial for success on the Physics GRE. It not only helps you become familiar with the types of questions and topics covered, but it also allows you to practice under timed conditions, which is essential for the time-constrained exam.

3. What are some effective study strategies for the Physics GRE?

Some effective study strategies for the Physics GRE include creating a study schedule, focusing on your weaker areas, practicing with timed exams, and seeking help from a tutor or study group if needed.

4. How can I improve my time management during the Physics GRE?

To improve time management during the Physics GRE, it is important to practice with past exams and simulate the timed conditions of the actual exam. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the format of the exam and skipping difficult questions to come back to later can also help improve time management.

5. Are there any resources or study materials that you would recommend for the Physics GRE?

There are many resources and study materials available for the Physics GRE. Some popular ones include textbooks, study guides, online courses, and past exams. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and your learning style.