Value of Open Circuit Voltage VOC with R1, R2, R3

In summary: What we're after is the voltage drop across R1. In other words, VR1-VR2.So, what is the voltage drop across R1?Kirchoff Voltage Law(1) -VS + VR2 + VR1 + VOC = 0Right?
Ry122
VS = 10 volts

R1 = 165 ohms
R2 = 146 ohms
R3 = 294 ohms

http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/elec.jpg

what is the value of the open circuit voltage, VOC, in volts ?

my attempt:
I'm not sure where to begin as I don't know whether r2 and r3 are in series or parallel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, to determine whether or not resistors are in parallel with each other is to ask yourself, "Do the two resistors share the same node pair?" If they do, they are parallel. Does this get you anywhere?

i don't think it does. do those circles on the right side of the diagram represent ground? so is current passing through R2 and R3 even when no open circuit is connected?

The circles on the right side do not symbolize ground. In circuit theory, I suppose you can place the ground where ever it is easier to solve the given problem. In this case, you can easily determine the open circuit voltage by implementing either mesh method or nodal method. I assume you have learned these techniques by now if you are receiving a problem such as this...

Let me know what you get when you determine the open circuit, and I will compare it with what I received.

Resistors with no current flowing in them have the same voltage on each side of them because there cannot be a voltage drop across them.

So, what is the voltage on the left side of the two open circuit resistors? This is also the voltage on the right side of these resistors.

vk6kro said:
Resistors with no current flowing in them have the same voltage on each side of them because there cannot be a voltage drop across them.

So, what is the voltage on the left side of the two open circuit resistors? This is also the voltage on the right side of these resistors.

i never knew that you can have a potential difference between two points without there being a current flowing through those points.

No.

The voltage across R1 is the same as Vs and this is the same as Voc because there cannot be a voltage across R2 or R3.

i guess you could just think of the two wires that have r2 and r3 as an extension of the cables of a multimeter couldn't you?

if i was to take two extremely large resistors, and tape one end of one of the resistors to the negative cable of a multimeter and do likewise with the other resistor and the positive cable of a multimeter then the voltage that would show on the multimeter would be no different to what it was before i taped those resistors to the multimeter's cables would it?

Edit: I just realized that couldn't be the case because that would be no different from measuring the voltage drop across R1.

Last edited:
if you analyze the loop where the open circuit voltage exists, you get

Kirchoff Voltage Law
(1) -VS + VR2 + VR1 + VOC = 0

Right?What is the voltage across R2 (VR2) and R1 (VR1). Since no current passes through R1 and R2, as said before, there is no voltage drop across them.

Therefore solve equation 1, and you will get your simple answer.

Ry122 said:
i guess you could just think of the two wires that have r2 and r3 as an extension of the cables of a multimeter couldn't you?

if i was to take two extremely large resistors, and tape one end of one of the resistors to the negative cable of a multimeter and do likewise with the other resistor and the positive cable of a multimeter then the voltage that would show on the multimeter would be no different to what it was before i taped those resistors to the multimeter's cables would it?

Edit: I just realized that couldn't be the case because that would be no different from measuring the voltage drop across R1.

Yes, as long as the multimeter did not draw any current, the actual values of the resistors in this circuit have no effect

Salman:
Kirchoff is a bit of an overkill in this case.

1. What is open circuit voltage (VOC)?

Open circuit voltage (VOC) is the voltage measured across a circuit when there is no load or current flowing through it. It is also known as the "no-load voltage".

2. How is VOC calculated?

VOC can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R): V = I * R. In an open circuit, there is no current flowing, so the voltage measured is equal to the source voltage.

3. Why is VOC important?

VOC is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a circuit and determine the maximum potential difference that can be achieved. It is also used to determine the efficiency and performance of electronic devices.

4. How does R1, R2, and R3 affect VOC?

R1, R2, and R3 are resistors in a circuit that can affect the overall voltage. The value of these resistors can change the total resistance of the circuit, therefore changing the voltage. The higher the resistance, the lower the voltage will be.

5. Can VOC be greater than the source voltage?

No, VOC cannot be greater than the source voltage. In an open circuit, the voltage measured is equal to the source voltage. However, in a closed circuit, the voltage can be affected by the load and may be lower than the source voltage.