Solving Optics Diffraction Questions: Orders & Intensity Pattern

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions regarding diffraction from slits. The first question asks about the missing orders for a double slit with specific dimensions, while the second question involves sketching the intensity pattern for multiple equally spaced slits. The person seeking help is unsure of which equations to use and is looking for assistance in solving the questions.
forwsl
I have two questions here,

1. The two slits of a double slit each have a width of 0.140 mm and a distance between centers of 0.840 mm,
(a) What orders are missing?
(b) What is the approximate intensity of orders m=1 to m=3, relative to the zeroth-order maximum?

2. Sketch the intensity pattern for seven equally spaced slits having d/b = 3, Label points on the x-axis with the corresponding values of beta and gamma.

For the first question, doesn't the missing orders depend on the wavelength? I don't have any clue on what equation to use.
And for the second, I don't have any idea at all.
Please help me in solving the questions, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Use the equations that deal with diffraction from slits. Your textbook or class notes should have these.

1. What is optics diffraction?

Optics diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves encounter an obstacle or aperture and spread out or bend around it, resulting in a characteristic pattern of light and dark regions.

2. What are diffraction orders?

Diffraction orders refer to the specific patterns of light and dark regions that are formed when light waves are diffracted. They are labeled as first order, second order, and so on, depending on the number of bright spots or fringes in the pattern.

3. How do you calculate the intensity pattern of a diffraction pattern?

The intensity pattern of a diffraction pattern can be calculated using the formula I = (sinα/α)^2, where α is the angle between the diffracted beam and the central maximum, and I is the intensity of the diffracted light at that angle.

4. What factors affect the diffraction pattern of an aperture?

The diffraction pattern of an aperture is affected by several factors, including the size of the aperture, the wavelength of the incident light, and the distance between the aperture and the screen where the pattern is observed.

5. How is diffraction used in real-world applications?

Diffraction is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes, in the production of diffraction gratings used in spectroscopy, and in the study of the structure and properties of materials through X-ray diffraction analysis.