Optics: images of object in half a spherical mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of two images seen in a glass sphere with a curved mirror on one side. The first image is created directly by the mirror, but the origin of the second image is debated. It is determined that refraction plays a role in creating both images, as light changes speed when passing from air into glass. The distance to the second image is calculated using the formula (1/n) * (R + x).
Anoonumos
Hi,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/optica.png/

The sphere in the picture is made of glass with n = 1.60.
The curved side of this sphere is a mirror. The question is why we see two images of the black dot.

Homework Equations

Snells law?

The Attempt at a Solution

One image is created directly by the mirror (1/f = 1/s0 + 1/s1), but I don't know what causes the other image. I don't think the object is one of the images, because we have to calculate the distance to the image (distance object is already given), and i haven't used n = 1.60 in that case. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track with an image created by the mirror. This is formed by light traveling to the right from the dot and hitting the curved surface.
What about light traveling to the LEFT from the dot, it meets the flat glass surface and is refracted...check REAL and APPARENT depth

Well, we're looking at the dot with a zero degree angle, so there wouldn't be any refraction right? I guess the mirror refracts some light as well, which could explain a second image. Thank you for your response.

You have to be very careful here. You usually associate refraction with a change in angle and you are used to seeing diagrams with light changing direction as it enters or leaves glass blocks. It is more than this
You need to realize that all of this occurs because light CHANGES SPEED as it passes from air into glass. It is slower in glass than it is in air (1.5 x slower). This means that objects in glass (or water) appear to be closer than they really are due to refraction.
A swimming pool looks shallow for this reason and points in glass look closer than they really are for the same reason.
Look at real and apparent depth in your physics textbook for the explanation and the diagrams.

I see, thanks. One final question just to check: the other image would be affected by this as well right? (Image created by mirror looks closer) and both images would be virtual.

Yes. The reflected rays from the curved surface will be refracted when they come out of the glass so this image is not exactly the same as if the curved surface did not have glass in front.

I've calculated the distance from the image created by the mirror to the mirror. It is to the right side of the mirror. Let's call the distance x.
I now want to calculate the distance to the flat side of the sphere. I think I should use: (1/n * R) + x, because that image is not in glass anymore. Am I correct? Or should I use (1/n) * (R + x) ?

Now I think about it again, I think it should actually be the second one: (1/n) * (R + x)

Last edited:

1. How is an image formed in a half spherical mirror?

An image is formed in a half spherical mirror through the process of reflection. When light rays from an object strike the mirror, they bounce off at an angle that is equal to the angle at which they hit the mirror. This creates a virtual image, which appears to be behind the mirror.

2. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, whereas a virtual image is formed when light rays only appear to converge at a point. Real images can be projected onto a screen, while virtual images cannot.

3. How is the size of an image in a half spherical mirror determined?

The size of an image in a half spherical mirror is determined by the distance of the object from the mirror and the radius of curvature of the mirror. The farther the object is from the mirror, the smaller the image will be. The radius of curvature also plays a role in determining the size of the image.

4. What is the difference between a concave and convex half spherical mirror?

A concave half spherical mirror curves inward and can create both real and virtual images. A convex half spherical mirror curves outward and can only create virtual images. Concave mirrors are commonly used in telescopes and headlights, while convex mirrors are often used in rearview mirrors and security mirrors.

5. How can the position and size of an object affect the image in a half spherical mirror?

The position and size of an object can greatly affect the image formed in a half spherical mirror. If the object is closer to the mirror, the image will be larger. If the object is farther away, the image will be smaller. Additionally, a larger object will produce a larger image, while a smaller object will produce a smaller image.