1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics question: What two positions of a lens gives a sharp image?

1. Aug 22, 2008 #1
    1. A lamp and a screen are 1m apart and a +4.5 D thin lens is mounted between them. Where must the lens be placed in order to produce a sharp image on the screen, and what will be the magnification?

2. Gauss Law: L' = L + F

3. I attempted this question by using the Gauss Law but I just don't know how to find the two possible positions of the lens to give a sharp image. I thought that a sharp image might be formed at F or F' but it doesn't work. Can someone please show me how to do this problem and explain it :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why doesn't it work? What do you know about "F" ?

4. Aug 22, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi LeeLoo! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I don't think that's the right law …

shouldn't it have 1/… ? :wink:

5. Aug 22, 2008 #4
    Oh, yeah, the law is actually n/l + F = n'/l' but i thought people could abbreviate it like that. anyway, yay, i know how to do the question now!

1/l' + 1/l = F
    l' +l =1m
    l' = 1 - l

so sub that in and get two answers for 'l' which are the lens positions :D

and magnification= l'/l so you get m = -2 or -1/2

COOL!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?