Optics (refracting light) and (mirrors)

In summary, the first conversation discusses using Snell's law and a protractor to find the angle of a light ray entering an odd shaped sphere with different indices of refraction. The second conversation involves using the mirror equation to prove that the image of an object is located at the focal point when the object is far away from a concave mirror. The summary also mentions the use of tangents and normals in finding angles, and clarifies the difference between the linear magnification equation and the mirror equation.
Jehuty
1)For my homework, I received a question, I'm supposed to use Snells law and a protractor. Basically, I have an odd shaped object that forms a messed up sphere. I have an arrow going in at a specific point and I'm given

n = 1.0 (for the light ray outside the sphere) and
n = 1.2 (for inside the sphere)

I know how to apply the two numbers into snells law but I don't know how I'm supposed to come up with an angle. It is not a triangle so I can't use trigenometry to figure it out.

2) Proove mathematically using the mirror equation that when an object is far away from a concave mirror, its image can be found at the focal point. Explain any assumptions.

As far as I got with question 2 is di = f I simply can't understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
-1- You need to draw a line that is tangent to the lens/sphere surface at the point where your ray is entering. The normal to that tangent is the normal that you use with Snell's law. For a lens, the normal is is at a different angle usually for each ray that you trace through the lens.

-2- What is the mirror equation. What value of distance do you put in for the object distance if it is "very far away"?

Jehuty said:
1)...I know how to apply the two numbers into snells law but I don't know how I'm supposed to come up with an angle.
Measure your angles with respect to the normal to the surface. (The normal is perpendicular to the surface.)

2) ...As far as I got with question 2 is di = f I simply can't understand this.
It looks like you've got it to me. Apparently you've shown that the image is a distance f from the center of the mirror, which is the location of the focal point. (You may need to refresh your understanding of the mirror equation and what it means.)

Thank you for all your help with question 1, I'm sorry I didn't state question 2 clearly. The mirror equation I am using is H(image) / H(object) = D(image) / D(object) where H is height and D is distance. With question 2, I know vaguely of what I am supposed to get but I am having a hard time mathematically getting the answer. I'm assuming that "very far away" means anything past the focal point and the curvature.

Is that the mirror equation that they are referring to? Remember, it's a concave mirror. I'd expect more like a lens-type equation...

Lens equation...isn't the lens equation the same except it has a negative for the distance image?

Jehuty said:
The mirror equation I am using is H(image) / H(object) = D(image) / D(object) where H is height and D is distance.
That's a description of linear magnification. What's usually called the "mirror equation" (similar to the thin spherical lens equation) is something like this:
[tex]\frac{1}{d_o} + \frac{1}{d_i} = \frac{1}{f}[/tex]

1. What is the difference between refraction and reflection?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium, while reflection is the bouncing of light off a surface.

2. How do lenses refract light?

Lenses are curved pieces of glass or plastic that change the direction of light as it passes through them, causing the light to bend and focus at a specific point.

3. What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which light hits a surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which light bounces off the surface).

4. How do mirrors work?

Mirrors reflect light by having a smooth, polished surface that bounces incoming light rays in a specific direction, allowing us to see a clear image.

5. What is the difference between concave and convex mirrors?

A concave mirror curves inward and can be used to focus light, while a convex mirror curves outward and is used to spread light, making objects appear smaller than they actually are.