Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimal Total Current for Parallel Loads

1. Dec 10, 2016 #1
    Hey .. !
    I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm working on a project and i have to supply electric power to two lifts. Each lift is operated with 380 V and iMAX of something around 13 A. I've selected a cable ( 16mm ) to provide the electric power from the source to the main breaker. Then, a cable ( 10 mm ) will go from the breaker to each lift.

My first question is which size should I use for the main breaker? The second question is, what amount of total current should I provide for both lifts? Can I just add the two currents up and end up with a total current of 26 A?

~ Any help is so appreciated ~

MrBrain ..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2016 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are asking the wrong kind of questions. You should be asking about local electrical and building codes that specify the legal requirements for wiring, and ask where to find a licensed electrician.

4. Dec 10, 2016 #3
    I see, so what requirements are to be specified first?

Actually i'm a trainee engineer. And this is the first task by my supervisor.

Thanks ~

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted