Optimal Total Current for Parallel Loads

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of supplying electric power to two lifts, with each lift requiring 380 V and 13 A. The speaker has selected a 16mm cable for the main power source and a 10mm cable for each lift. They have two questions: what size main breaker to use and what total current is needed for both lifts. The responder suggests consulting local codes and hiring a licensed electrician, and the speaker clarifies that they are a trainee engineer completing a task assigned by their supervisor.
MrBrain
Hey .. !
I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm working on a project and i have to supply electric power to two lifts. Each lift is operated with 380 V and iMAX of something around 13 A. I've selected a cable ( 16mm ) to provide the electric power from the source to the main breaker. Then, a cable ( 10 mm ) will go from the breaker to each lift.

My first question is which size should I use for the main breaker? The second question is, what amount of total current should I provide for both lifts? Can I just add the two currents up and end up with a total current of 26 A?

~ Any help is so appreciated ~

MrBrain ..

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are asking the wrong kind of questions. You should be asking about local electrical and building codes that specify the legal requirements for wiring, and ask where to find a licensed electrician.

Likes MrBrain
I see, so what requirements are to be specified first?

Actually I'm a trainee engineer. And this is the first task by my supervisor.

Thanks ~

1. What is meant by "optimal total current" for parallel loads?

Optimal total current refers to the ideal amount of current that should flow through a circuit containing parallel loads. It is the total current that ensures all the loads receive the necessary amount of current without exceeding the circuit's capacity.

2. How is the optimal total current calculated for parallel loads?

The optimal total current for parallel loads is calculated by adding up the individual currents of each load in the circuit. This total current should be equal to or slightly higher than the circuit's maximum current capacity.

3. Why is it important to determine the optimal total current for parallel loads?

Determining the optimal total current for parallel loads is important because it ensures that each load receives the necessary amount of current without overloading the circuit. This helps prevent damage to the circuit and ensures efficient operation of the loads.

4. Can the optimal total current change for different parallel loads?

Yes, the optimal total current can change for different parallel loads depending on their individual current requirements. It is important to recalculate the optimal total current whenever new loads are added to the circuit.

5. How does the resistance of parallel loads affect the optimal total current?

The resistance of parallel loads does not affect the optimal total current. However, it does affect the distribution of current among the loads. Loads with lower resistance will draw more current compared to those with higher resistance.