1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization, Minima, Open Top Box

1. Jan 8, 2007 #1
    Optimization, Minima, new question:Sheet Alluminum

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A box with a square base and no top must haave a volume of 10000 cm^3. If the smallest dimension in any direction is 5 cm, then determine the dimensions of the box that minimize the amount of material used.

2. Relevant equations
    Volume: x^2y
    Surface Area: x^2+4xy

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let x represent the length and width of the box
    Let y represent height

x>5

I drew a neat little drawing of the box and labeled it according to the statements above.

V=x^2y
    10000=x^2y
    y=10000/x^2

SA=x^2+4xy
    =x^2+4x(10000/x^2)

Now I think that I need to set the SA equation to zero then differentiate but I can't quite remember what I'm doing with it. I'd appreciate anyhelp that could be offered.

~Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2007 #2
    Don't forget to subtract the area of the top from the surface area equation.

4. Jan 8, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

He never added it lol.

Your on the right track. [tex]SA=x^2+\frac{40000}{x}[/tex]

Differentiate with respect to x and set equal to zero. you get [tex]2x=\frac{40000}{x^2}[/tex] Take the x^2 over and we get 2x^3=40000, x^3=20000. Take the cube root, we get around 27.144cm. Sub that value Into the 10000=x^2 y to get y.

5. Jan 9, 2007 #4
    wow.. Thanks that make sense I think, been a couple months since we did this in class.

Thanks
    ~RS

So then x=27.144 cm and y=6.786 cm.
    Don't I also sub 5 from x>5 into the equation to tie up loose ends and make sure that it really is 27 cm? oops wrong equation y=13 and change.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  6. Jan 9, 2007 #5
    A cylindrical can is to hold 500 cm^3 of apple juice the design must take into account that the height must be between 6 and 15 cm, inclusive. How should the can be constructed so that a minimum amount of material will be used in the construction? assume no waste.

V is volume and SA is surface area

so far this is what I have:

15>h>6

v=(pi)r^2h
    500=(pi)r^2h
    500/(pi)r^2=h

SA=2(pi)r(500/(pi)r^2) + 2(pi)r^2

Now I believe I need to find the derivative and set it to zero then solve for r.

The problem is that I can't quite figure out how I'm supposed to find the derivative if someone could give me a hand understanding the process as I have forgotten and my teacher is busy with the latest stuff.

7. Jan 9, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, your requirement is that x and y must both be greater than 5 which is true.

8. Jan 9, 2007 #7

Sorry I forgot to say that I finally got that question finished and it seems to be correct, I had been struggling with it for the last few days and my teacher wasn't able to explain it in a way that helped. Thanks to Gib Z it clicked and I figured it out as far as boxes go, but when I see derivatives and pi I get thrown off.

Thanks,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?