Optimization Problem Homework Solution

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
In summary, the conversation was about a test on integration, curve sketching, and optimization. One of the problems involved finding the largest possible area for a rectangular fence given a budget of $120 and different costs for materials on different sides. The solution involved using the cost equation to solve for either L or W and then substituting that into the area equation to find the maximum area.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

I took a test today on integration, curve sketching, and optimization. I am pretty sure that I got a 100 on it due to all the help here on PF with indef. integration and all of the helpful u-sub advice I have received. Anyway, there was 5 optimization word problems, and only 4 were counted towards the grade. I did all 5 of them and I know 4 were correct, but the 5th one I could not figure out how to set up. It was something like this:

Someone is trying to make a rectangular fence, and they want to use a fancier fence material for the front side of the house. Material for the back and sides cost 2 dollars per foot, and material for the front costs 3 dollars per foot. This person only has 120 dollars to spend. What is the largest possible area they can cover?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I claimed that the sides were L in length, and therefor the cost of the sides would be 2(2L). Then I said that the length of the front would be W, and the cost of the front would be 3W. Now I claimed the back wall would be 2W (because it's the same length as the front, only with the cheap material). So that the cost of the whole thing is given by:
[itex]4L+5W=120[/itex]

I am not sure how to pull another equation out of this one so I can substitute for W or L or something. There was no specification like "The area is something" that I could use for that.

Edit: Wrong forum section sorry, it's close enough to pre-calculus algebra though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

I took a test today on integration, curve sketching, and optimization. I am pretty sure that I got a 100 on it due to all the help here on PF with indef. integration and all of the helpful u-sub advice I have received. Anyway, there was 5 optimization word problems, and only 4 were counted towards the grade. I did all 5 of them and I know 4 were correct, but the 5th one I could not figure out how to set up. It was something like this:

Someone is trying to make a rectangular fence, and they want to use a fancier fence material for the front side of the house. Material for the back and sides cost 2 dollars per foot, and material for the front costs 3 dollars per foot. This person only has 120 dollars to spend. What is the largest possible area they can cover?

Homework Equations

I claimed that the sides were L in length, and therefor the cost of the sides would be 2(2L). Then I said that the length of the front would be W, and the cost of the front would be 3W. Now I claimed the back wall would be 2W (because it's the same length as the front, only with the cheap material). So that the cost of the whole thing is given by:
[itex]4L+5W=120[/itex]

I am not sure how to pull another equation out of this one so I can substitute for W or L or something. There was no specification like "The area is something" that I could use for that.

Edit: Wrong forum section sorry, it's close enough to pre-calculus algebra though.

The expression you want to maximize is the area, or LW, subject to the constraint that 4L + 5W = 120. Solve this equation for one of the variables, and then substitute it into your area expression to get area as a quadratic function of a single variable. The graph of this function will be a parabola. It's a good bet that the parabola will open downward...

QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[itex]4L+5W=120[/itex]

The area A is A = L · W .

Solve the cost equation for L or W & plug into the Area equation. Then find the maximum for A.

(Since A will be quadratic in L or W, this is a problem which could be done in College Algebra.)

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the best possible solution for a given set of constraints. The goal of an optimization problem is to maximize or minimize a specific objective function while adhering to the given constraints.

2. How do you solve an optimization problem?

There are several methods for solving optimization problems, such as linear programming, gradient descent, and genetic algorithms. The best approach depends on the specific problem and constraints. Generally, an optimization problem is solved by formulating it as a mathematical model, finding the optimal solution using an appropriate algorithm, and then evaluating the solution to determine its validity and effectiveness.

3. What are some common applications of optimization problems?

Optimization problems have a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, economics, finance, logistics, and computer science. Some common examples include resource allocation, production planning, portfolio optimization, scheduling, and route planning.

4. What are the challenges in solving optimization problems?

One of the main challenges in solving optimization problems is the complexity of the problem itself. Many optimization problems are NP-hard, meaning that there is no known efficient algorithm to solve them. Additionally, finding the optimal solution often requires a balance between computational efficiency and accuracy. Other challenges include dealing with uncertainty and incorporating real-world constraints into the problem.

5. Can optimization problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, optimization problems can have multiple solutions, but not all of them may be feasible or optimal. Depending on the problem, there may be a single optimal solution, multiple optimal solutions, or a range of acceptable solutions. It is essential to carefully evaluate and compare potential solutions to determine the best one for a given problem.