1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization variables problem

1. Dec 2, 2006 #1
    This problem has to do with physics but it is from my calculus book, and for my calc class so I put it here:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A component is designed to slide a block of steel with weight W across a table and into a chute. The motion of the block is resisted by a frictional force proportional to its apparent weight. (Let k be the constant of proportionality.) Find the minimum force F needed to slide the block and find the corresponding value of theta. (Hint: FcosTheta is the force in the direction of the motion, and FsinTheta is the amount of force tending to lift the block. So the apparent weight is W-Fsintheta.)"

2. Relevant equations
    Apparent weight = W-FsinTheta

3. The attempt at a solution

I set the equation FcosTheta = k(w-Fsintheta)
    I really don't know where to go from here. In every optimization problem we have found 2 equations a primary and a secondary and used the secondary to relate to get rid of variables. Can someone please point me in the right direction I'm pretty lost.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2006 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think back to basic calculus, sketching graphs of function, etc. If you have an equation y = f(x), how do you find the value(s) of x where the maximum or minimum value(s) of y occur?

Here you have an equation with two variables F and Theta, and you want the minimum value of F.

4. Dec 2, 2006 #3
    the answer is F = kW/(sqrt(k^2 +1)) if that helps anyone (its in the back of the book) I'm really not sure how to get there

5. Dec 2, 2006 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your equation looks OK.

Do you know the answer to the question "how to find the min or max of a function y= f(x)" using calculus? If you drew a graph of a function y = f(x), what is the slope of the graph when y = a minimum or maximum? How do you find the slope of a graph?

When you do that, you will have another equation in F and Theta and you can solve the 2 equations.

6. Dec 2, 2006 #5
    yeah so I just take the derivative of my equation and set it equal to zero right? The only thing I'm not sure is what to set the equation equal to before I find the derivative should I make it F = (rest of equation).

I think my problem is in actually finding the derivative I get this for the derivative
    F' = (-kw(-sinTheta+kcosTheta))/(cosTheta+ksinTheta)^2

7. Dec 3, 2006 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Dec 3, 2006 #7
    I see! That makes a lot of sense I thought about deriving it that way at first, I just didn't realize to plug 0 in for dF/dt. Thanks alot! To get the Force I'm thinking I can plug in tan theta for k into the original equation, thanks for all the help.

9. Dec 3, 2006 #8

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?