1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimizing Cone - Calculus

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    Hello there :) I'm having tons of trouble figuring out how to finish this problem.
    A cone is to be constructed having a given slant height of l>0 . Find the radius and height which give maximal volume.

I am unsure of which variables to keep in order for it to be maximized, and how to go about optimizing it.

This is how I was going about it: I think that the cross-section of the cone makes a right angled triangle, for which the equation would be l^2= b^2 + h^2, and in order to maximize the volume you must relate it to the volume equation V = 1/3(pi)r^2h, but I am having trouble putting it together, to be able to differentiate and then maximize.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok so colume as a function of r & h is
    V(r,h) = 1/3(pi)r^2h

but you also know (assuming b=r)
    l^2=h^2+r^2

rearranging the contsrtaint gives
    r^2 = h^2-l^2

and you can subsitute into you volume equation, to get V(h) only. Then you can differentiate w.r.t. h and maximise remembering that l is constant

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook