Opto TRIAC in power electronics -- where should I start?

In summary, the student is lost and doesn't understand what an Opto Triac is, or what it is used for. He is looking for help and is hoping that by looking at other related articles he can get a better understanding.
Guidestone
Hey guys. I'm not supposed to ask about homework stuff in this forums but I'll give it a shot cause I'm really really lost in this. Also, I won't be so specific.

I'm taking the power electronics course from college and I'm supposed to give a presentation on Opto triacs. I just don't know where to start, I don't get to understand what is the use of this component. Every time I search for it I just get lots of acronims and I don't know which one is really the device I'm looking for.
I shall say that my experience with analog electronics wasn't really good.
I know what a transistor is, what a diode is, I have some idea of how JFET transistors work, I know how to do some math as well, in fact, I don't have too much trouble with semiconductors. However, all this power things are really new to me.

Any help I could get will be really apreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened.

Guidestone said:
Hey guys. I'm not supposed to ask about homework stuff in this forums but I'll give it a shot cause I'm really really lost in this. Also, I won't be so specific.

I'm taking the power electronics course from college and I'm supposed to give a presentation on Opto triacs. I just don't know where to start, I don't get to understand what is the use of this component. Every time I search for it I just get lots of acronims and I don't know which one is really the device I'm looking for.
I shall say that my experience with analog electronics wasn't really good.
I know what a transistor is, what a diode is, I have some idea of how JFET transistors work, I know how to do some math as well, in fact, I don't have too much trouble with semiconductors. However, all this power things are really new to me.

Any help I could get will be really apreciated.

I'm not even sure what an "Opto Triac" is. Can you show us where you have seen it? I know what a Triac is and what it is used for, but I don't see any optical analog of a Triac right off the bat.

Also, why are you looking at optoelectronics in a Power Electronics class? What are the optical components used for?

I googled the phrase and found. https://www.fairchildsemi.com/application-notes/AN/AN-3006.pdf. As the first hit. It says :

"Optocouplers simplify logic isolation from the ac line, power supply transformations, and the control of polyphase power systems. They help solve problems by keeping ac line noise and transients out of sensitive logic "

Edit: clarification. The phrase I googled was opto triac.

Last edited:
triacs-diacs05.gif

Or, an opto triac firing a power triac

QxcbW.jpg

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/moc3020.pdf

A good place to start is opto isolators. Whether they drive a transistor or a triac, the opto principles are the same:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator

Then, read about triacs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes donpacino and berkeman
Thank you guys, I'll check those out, it will help tons with this subject at school.

Interesting, I hadn't seen them integrated like that before. Good to know that they are available. :smile:

Likes donpacino
I recall using them 20 to 25 years ago. I remember hearing of something called an LASCR before I got started in electronics. (Light Activated Silicon Controlled Rectifier). At the time I wondered just how integrated things would get. At that time anything light activated seemed miraculous to me.

1. What is an Opto TRIAC and how does it work?

An Opto TRIAC is a type of electronic switch used in power electronics. It is composed of an optocoupler (a light-sensitive device) and a TRIAC (a type of semiconductor switch). The optocoupler receives a signal and uses it to control the TRIAC, allowing it to turn on and off electrical currents.

2. What are the advantages of using an Opto TRIAC in power electronics?

The use of an Opto TRIAC in power electronics offers several advantages, including electrical isolation between the input and output circuits, high switching speeds, and low power consumption. It also allows for precise control of power levels and can handle high voltage and current levels.

3. Where can I use an Opto TRIAC in power electronics?

Opto TRIACs are commonly used in applications that require precise control of power, such as motor speed control, lighting control, and AC power switching. They are also used in power supplies, home automation systems, and industrial control systems.

4. What are the key considerations when selecting an Opto TRIAC for a specific application?

When choosing an Opto TRIAC for a specific application, factors such as voltage and current ratings, switching speed, and thermal characteristics should be considered. It is also important to select an Opto TRIAC with appropriate isolation and noise immunity for the desired application.

5. What are some common troubleshooting techniques for Opto TRIACs in power electronics?

If an Opto TRIAC is not functioning properly, some common troubleshooting techniques include checking for proper wiring and connections, ensuring the input signal is within the correct range, and checking for any damaged components. It is also important to refer to the manufacturer's datasheet for specific troubleshooting guidelines.