• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Orbital period

1. Homework Statement
Mars orbits the sun at 1.52 Earth's orbital radius. What is the period of Mars in Earth years?

2. Homework Equations
ΣFc = mac

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I am unsure how to do this problem as this is the first "orbital period" question that I have encountered. Do I use the equation ΣFc = mac to solve this question, or is there another equation specifically for orbital periods that I don't know about?

because if I go the ΣFc = mac route I get:

ΣFc = mac
Fg = m4(pie)^2r/T^2
GMem/r^2 = m4(pie)^2(1.52)r/T^2
GMe/r^2 = 4(pie)^2(1.52)r/T^2
(GMe)(T^2) = 4(pie)^2(1.52)r^3
T = √4(pie)^2(1.52)r^3/GMe

This is my first orbital period question so I was just wondering would this be the correct way to solve it?

Answers and Replies

fluidistic
Gold Member
fluidistic
Gold Member
I think you can use the formula [tex]\frac{T_{\text {Earth}}}{a_{\text {Earth}}}=\frac{T_{\text {Mars}}}{a_{\text {Mars}}}[/tex] where [tex]T[/tex] is the period and [tex]a[/tex] is the semimajor axis of the orbit. I think that in your case you can consider [tex]a[/tex] as being the orbital radius.

I think you can use the formula [tex]\frac{T_{\text {Earth}}}{a_{\text {Earth}}}=\frac{T_{\text {Mars}}}{a_{\text {Mars}}}[/tex] where [tex]T[/tex] is the period and [tex]a[/tex] is the semimajor axis of the orbit. I think that in your case you can consider [tex]a[/tex] as being the orbital radius.
Oh okay, that makes this question so much easier :) thanks alot for the help.

Oh and by the way for Tearth (the period), do I use the constant given for period of rotation given or do I use the constant given for period of orbit around the sun (both found on the Chart titled "Fundamental Constants and Physical Data")? I use the constant for period of orbit around the sun right?

Last edited:
fluidistic
Gold Member
Oh okay, that makes this question so much easier :) thanks alot for the help.

Oh and by the way for Tearth (the period), do I use the constant given for period of rotation given or do I use the constant given for period of orbit around the sun (both found on the Chart titled "Fundamental Constants and Physical Data")? I use the constant for period of orbit around the sun right?
You're welcome!
For [tex]T_{\text {Earth}}[/tex] I'd keep it like that. (I wouldn't plug any number instead of it). This way you will get [tex]T_{\text {Mars}}[/tex] in term of [tex]T_{\text {Earth}}[/tex] as they are asking you.