1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital period

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Mars orbits the sun at 1.52 Earth's orbital radius. What is the period of Mars in Earth years?

2. Relevant equations
    ΣFc = mac

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am unsure how to do this problem as this is the first "orbital period" question that I have encountered. Do I use the equation ΣFc = mac to solve this question, or is there another equation specifically for orbital periods that I don't know about?

because if I go the ΣFc = mac route I get:

ΣFc = mac
    Fg = m4(pie)^2r/T^2
    GMem/r^2 = m4(pie)^2(1.52)r/T^2
    GMe/r^2 = 4(pie)^2(1.52)r/T^2
    (GMe)(T^2) = 4(pie)^2(1.52)r^3
    T = √4(pie)^2(1.52)r^3/GMe

This is my first orbital period question so I was just wondering would this be the correct way to solve it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2

Gold Member

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    So I should use the harmonic's law equation for this question?
  5. Dec 8, 2008 #4

Gold Member

I think you can use the formula [tex]\frac{T_{\text {Earth}}}{a_{\text {Earth}}}=\frac{T_{\text {Mars}}}{a_{\text {Mars}}}[/tex] where [tex]T[/tex] is the period and [tex]a[/tex] is the semimajor axis of the orbit. I think that in your case you can consider [tex]a[/tex] as being the orbital radius.
  6. Dec 8, 2008 #5
    Oh okay, that makes this question so much easier :) thanks alot for the help.

Oh and by the way for Tearth (the period), do I use the constant given for period of rotation given or do I use the constant given for period of orbit around the sun (both found on the Chart titled "Fundamental Constants and Physical Data")? I use the constant for period of orbit around the sun right?
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  7. Dec 9, 2008 #6

Gold Member

You're welcome!
    For [tex]T_{\text {Earth}}[/tex] I'd keep it like that. (I wouldn't plug any number instead of it). This way you will get [tex]T_{\text {Mars}}[/tex] in term of [tex]T_{\text {Earth}}[/tex] as they are asking you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?