Converting LA to CI System: Exploring Right Ascension and Declination

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a system from LA (Local Astronomic) to CI (Conventional Inertial). The attempt at a solution involves dividing both sides of the equation by the numbers on the right, taking the logarithm of both sides, and dividing both sides by log(r). The conversation also mentions using right ascension and declination to compute the CI.
G4CKT

Homework Statement

I was given a question to transform the LA system to the CI system. (Local astronomic and Conventional Inertial)

Homework Equations

r^LA=P1*R2(90-Ф)*R3(Λ)*R2(-xp)*R1(-yp)*R3(GAST)*N*P*r^CL

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this on MATLAB but I used the wrong rotation and got the question wrong so I was wondering if anyone knew how to convert LA -> CI

Physics news on Phys.org
I see "LA" on the left side of the equation but I see no "CI". Was the "CL" on the right supposed to be "CI"?

If so, first divide both sides by all the numbers on the right to get
[tex]r^{CI}= \frac{r^{LA}}{P1*R2(90-Ф)*R3(Λ)*R2(-xp)*R1(-yp)*R3(GAST)*N*P}[/tex]

Now, take the logarithm of both sides (it doesn't matter what base)
[tex]CI log(r)= LA log(r)- log(P1*R2(90-Ф)*R3(Λ)*R2(-xp)*R1(-yp)*R3(GAST)*N*P)[/tex]
Finally, divide both sides by log(r) to get
[tex]CI= LA- \frac{log(P1*R2(90-Ф)*R3(Λ)*R2(-xp)*R1(-yp)*R3(GAST)*N*P)}{log(r)}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
I see "LA" on the left side of the equation but I see no "CI". Was the "CL" on the right supposed to be "CI"?

If so, first divide both sides by all the numbers on the right to get
[tex]r^{CI}= \frac{r^{LA}}{P1*R2(90-Ф)*R3(Λ)*R2(-xp)*R1(-yp)*R3(GAST)*N*P}[/tex]

Now, take the logarithm of both sides (it doesn't matter what base)
[tex]CI log(r)= LA log(r)- log(P1*R2(90-Ф)*R3(Λ)*R2(-xp)*R1(-yp)*R3(GAST)*N*P)[/tex]
Finally, divide both sides by log(r) to get
[tex]CI= LA- \frac{log(P1*R2(90-Ф)*R3(Λ)*R2(-xp)*R1(-yp)*R3(GAST)*N*P)}{log(r)}[/tex]

Yes, that is correct I was confusing myself, sorry xD.

I have another question in order to find the CI using right ascension and declination. How would I be able to compute that?

Thanks!

Maybe I should be in the astronomy section xD

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between orientation and rotation?

Orientation refers to the position or direction of an object relative to a reference point, while rotation refers to the circular movement of an object around its own axis.

2. How is orientation and rotation measured?

Orientation can be measured using angles or degrees, often using a compass or other navigation tools. Rotation can also be measured using angles, with one full rotation being 360 degrees.

3. What are some real-world examples of orientation and rotation?

Orientation can be seen in the position of the sun in the sky (east/west), the direction of a compass needle, or the orientation of buildings on a map. Rotation can be observed in the movement of the Earth around the sun, the rotation of a bike wheel, or the spin of a toy top.

4. How do orientation and rotation affect everyday life?

Orientation and rotation play a crucial role in navigation and spatial awareness. They also have practical applications in various industries such as aviation, engineering, and robotics. Additionally, understanding orientation and rotation can help us better understand the natural world and our place in it.

5. Can orientation and rotation be changed?

Yes, orientation and rotation can be changed. Orientation can be changed by physically moving an object or by changing the reference point. Rotation can be altered by applying a force to an object, such as a push or a pull, or by changing the axis of rotation.