1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillating mass in a liquid, SHO

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A body of uniform cross-sectional area A and mass density [itex]\rho[/itex] floats in a liquid of density [itex]\rho_0[/itex] (where [itex]\rho < \rho_0[/itex]), and at equilibrium displaces a volume [itex]V[/itex]. Making use of Archimedes principle (that the buoyancy force actign on a partially submerged body is equal to the mass of the displaced liquid), show that the period of small amplitude oscillations about the equilibrium position is:
    [itex]T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{V}{gA}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]F_{buoyancy} = mg[/itex]

[itex]\ddot{x} = -\omega^2 x[/itex]

[itex]T = \frac{2\pi}{\omega}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I feel like that is my starting point, but I can't seem to set of the differential equation in order to solve for something to get me to the period

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2
    Hi, Brad23! Nice explanation of the problem. Hopefully you are familiar with the "basic" mass-spring problem, where the spring has constant k and the mass is m. Hopefully you also know the formula for the period of small oscillations for that situation, in terms of m and k. What is it? Call this formula [1]. This problem is basically the same: we have an oscillating mass, and the liquid acts like a spring. So we can find m and k in terms of the given parameters in this specific problem, and plug those expressions into [1] to obtain the answer.

We know the mass already, it's:
    [tex]m = \rho V[/tex]

Call this [2].

Finding k is more intricate. To do this, remember that the definition of k is given by: F = -kx, where x is a displacement and F is the force. In other words, k = -F/x. In this case, x is a small vertical displacement of the floating object from its equilibrium point. So what you need to do is find the net force on the object if it is raised a small distance x from its equilibrium and then let go. Divide by x, and that's your expression for k (call this formula [3]). Plug [2] and [3] into [1], and that's your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook