• Start date

scott_sieger

can't delete this thread.......

a drawing that has proved to be nonsense...sorry

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Njorl

Science Advisor
The distance from sun to Earth does not control the seasons. We are furthest from the sun in summer here in the northern hemisphere. The ellipticity of the Earth's orbit has about 1000 times the effect on the distance from any patch of surface to the sun as the axial tilt does.

You keep pushing this, indicating you really don't understand what causes the seasons. Others have done a very good job explaining it, but you still don't get it. I suggest you get a good book from the library and study up on what causes the seasons.

BTW, anything that could noticeably change the Earth's orbit would be much more cataclysmic than any temperature change that would result.

Njorl

Check this for instance:

It is true that the Earth's distance from the Sun actually does vary during a year--but it is not enough to drive the seasons. The Earth's orbit is an ellipse with the Sun sitting at one foci. The closest approach of the Earth to the Sun is called perihelion, and happens on January 4, 2003 about two weeks after the winter solstice. Aphelion occurs when Earth is farthest from the Sun, and will happen on July 4, 2003, a couple of weeks after the summer solstice. The difference in distance? About 3 million miles, or about 3% of Earth’s total distance from the Sun, not nearly enough to explain the temperature difference between a cold day in January vs. a hot day July.
http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_devore_solstice_021212.html [Broken]

I was going to add some comments but I see that Njorl beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

scott_sieger

Ok....ahhh I see what I am assuming is totally off the planet...

Thanks guys,