Calculate Overall Entropy: Metal + Water @ 76°C

• Thread starter jg95ae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the question asks for the estimated overall change in entropy for a thermally isolated system consisting of a piece of metal at 80 degrees C and 1.22 litres of water at 72 degrees C. By using the heat that flows and the temperatures, the change in entropy for the water can be estimated. The change in entropy for the metal can also be estimated using the average temperatures of each component. Adding these two changes together results in a net increase in entropy of approximately 1.6 x 10^-4 J/Kg. The use of significant figures at intermediate stages can affect the final answer, but the overall concept remains the same.
jg95ae
I'm not sure about this qustion:

A piece of metal at 80 degrees C is placed int 1.22 litres of water at 72 degrees C. This thermally isolated system reaches a final temperature of 76 degrees C. Estimate the overall change of entropy for this system.

Can I actually calculate anything for this question since I don't know the weight or the type of metal??

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Key word: "estimate." Since the heat that flows (Q) and the temperatures are what matter for finding the changes in entropy, and since all the heat required to change the temperature of 1.22 L of water came from the metal, you have enough for an estimated answer. start by finding Q.

Ok so I from the density of water I found that 1.2L is 1.2 kg of H20

So Q=mcdT
Q=(1.2kg)(1.0 kcal/kgC)(76-72C)
Q=4.8 kcal

So dSw = 4.8 kcal/347K
dSw = 0.014 kcal/K

So now that I know the change in entropy for the water how do I figure it out for the metal?

Q_out = -Q_in

Use the average temperatures of each.

So then dS for the metal would be Q/(Avg temp of the metal)

dSm = -4.8 kcal/351K
dSm = -0.014 kcal/K

So adding these together would mean that the overall change in Entropy is 0? Can this be right??

drag your results to one more digit and it would be right. As far as appropriate sig figs go, there is "no significant change in total entropy." but there is always a net increase in entropy.

jg95ae said:
So then dS for the metal would be Q/(Avg temp of the metal)

dSm = -4.8 kcal/351K
dSm = -0.014 kcal/K

So adding these together would mean that the overall change in Entropy is 0? Can this be right??
This is a good illustration of when (mis)use of significant figures at intermediate stages can bury an answer.

The important point here is that the loss of heat of the metal is exactly the gain in heat of the water. So you should express the difference between the two entropy changes in two significant figures ie:

[tex]\Delta S[/tex] = 4.8(1/347 - 1/351) = 4.8( 3.3 x 10^-5) = 1.6 x 10^-4 J/Kg.

AM

Ok so if I increase the number of digits

dSw = 0.01383
dSm = -0.01368

Therefore the overall change in Entropy is S = 0.01383+(-0.01368)
S = 0.00015 kcal/K
Does this look about right?

jg95ae said:
Ok so if I increase the number of digits

dSw = 0.01383
dSm = -0.01368

Therefore the overall change in Entropy is S = 0.01383+(-0.01368)
S = 0.00015 kcal/K
Does this look about right?

I guess its right - must have been writing the last messages at the same time.

Thanks for the help

jg95ae said:
I guess its right - must have been writing the last messages at the same time.

Thanks for the help
It should be 1.6 x 10^-4. (1/347 - 1/351) = 4/(347*351) = 3.3 x 10^-5.

AM

1. What is the formula for calculating overall entropy?

The formula for calculating overall entropy is ΔS = ΣS(products) - ΣS(reactants), where ΔS represents the change in entropy and ΣS represents the sum of the individual entropies of the products and reactants.

2. How is the overall entropy affected by temperature?

The overall entropy increases with temperature. As the temperature increases, the molecules in a system have more kinetic energy and move more freely, resulting in a higher disorder and therefore a higher overall entropy.

3. How does the entropy of a system change when a metal is added to water at 76°C?

When a metal is added to water at 76°C, the overall entropy of the system increases. This is because the metal and water molecules will mix and interact, resulting in a higher disorder and therefore a higher overall entropy.

4. Does the entropy of a system always increase?

No, the entropy of a system can decrease in certain situations. For example, when a gas is compressed, its particles become more ordered and the entropy decreases. However, the overall entropy of the universe always increases, as predicted by the second law of thermodynamics.

5. How is the overall entropy affected by the type of metal and water used in the calculation?

The overall entropy is affected by the type of metal and water used in the calculation. Different types of metals and water molecules have different molecular structures and therefore different entropies. This can result in varying overall entropies for the same system, depending on the specific materials used.