Overdamping Limit: Approximating mL^2θ + bθ + mgLsinθ = Γ

• Thread starter Math Jeans
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the equation states that the torque on a pendulum is proportional to the sin of the angle between the pendulum's swing and the gravitational force. The equation can be approximated by its overdamped limit, where b is the damping coefficient and Gamma is a torque. Under certain conditions, sin(\theta) can be replaced with sin(\theta)~\approx~\theta, solving for b and mgL. This information is found in an email from the teacher.
Math Jeans

Homework Statement

Find the conditions under which it is valid to approximate the equation

[tex]mL^2\ddot{\theta}+b\dot{\theta}+mgLsin\theta=\Gamma[/tex]

by its overdamped limit
[tex]b\dot{\theta}+mgLsin\theta=\Gamma[/tex]

Homework Equations

The formula is for an overdamped pendulum where b is the damping coefficient, and Gamma is a torque on the pendulum.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from past experience that the conditions are [tex]b^2>>m^2gL^3[/tex], but I'm not sure how to obtain that from the equation.

Thanks,
Jeans

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]\theta[/itex] is "small," [itex]sin(\theta)~\approx~\theta[/itex]. Under this condition you can replace [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] in your differential equation to make it a linear d.e with constant coefficients. Is that enough of a start?

I had considered doing that and then equalizing the equations, but the problem is implying that it is done for all theta.

Here's an email from my teacher regarding it. I don't really know how much of it I understand (I just got the email this morning):

"No you don't need to solve for any ODE. Rescale the problem with time scale T, the coefficient preceding theta' should be 1, the coefficient preceding theta'' should be much less than 1. Check the overdamped bead on the hoop problem for similar procedure."

Ok! I think I get it! Essentially I had to non-dimensionalize the equation by getting rid of the double-dot term.

[tex]mL^2\ddot{\theta}+b\dot{\theta}+mgLsin\theta=\Gamma[/tex]

[tex]mL^2\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}+b\frac{d\theta}{dt}+mgLsin\theta=\Gamma[/tex]

[tex]\frac{L}{g}\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}+\frac{b}{mgL}\frac{d\theta}{dt}+sin\theta=\frac{\Gamma}{mgL} [/tex]

Define: [tex]\tau=\frac{mgL}{b}t --> t=\frac{b}{mgL}\tau[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{d\theta}{\frac{b}{mgL}d\tau}=\theta'[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=\frac{d^2\theta}{\frac{b^2}{m^2g^2L^2}d\tau}=\theta''[/tex]

Apply the new definition:

[tex]\frac{L*m^2g^2L^2}{gb^2}\theta''+\theta'+sin\theta=\frac{\Gamma}{mgL} --> \frac{m^2gL^3}{b^2}\theta''+\theta'+sin\theta=\frac{\Gamma}{mgL}[/tex]

And there is my [tex]\frac{m^2gL^3}{b^2}[/tex] which agrees with what I thought was the answer.

Then if we multiply out the function under Gamma on the right side of the equation and substitute t back in, we are left with the original equation minus the double-dot term. Yay!

QATC?

thanks a bunch,
Jeans

Last edited:

1. What is the overdamping limit?

The overdamping limit is a condition where the damping force in a mechanical system is greater than the critical damping force. This results in the system being unable to oscillate and instead reaching equilibrium without any oscillations.

2. How is the overdamping limit approximated?

The overdamping limit is approximated by using the equation mL^2θ + bθ + mgLsinθ = Γ, where m is the mass of the object, L is the length of the system, b is the damping coefficient, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and Γ is the external torque applied to the system.

3. What is the significance of the overdamping limit?

The overdamping limit is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of mechanical systems when the damping force is high. It also allows us to predict the motion of the system and determine if it will reach equilibrium without oscillating.

4. How does the overdamping limit differ from other damping conditions?

The overdamping limit differs from other damping conditions, such as underdamping and critical damping, because it results in the system reaching equilibrium without any oscillations. In other damping conditions, the system may oscillate before reaching equilibrium.

5. Can the overdamping limit be applied to all mechanical systems?

The overdamping limit can be applied to most mechanical systems, as long as the system can be modeled using the equation mL^2θ + bθ + mgLsinθ = Γ. However, there may be certain systems that do not fit this equation and therefore the overdamping limit may not be applicable.