Oxidation reactants and products

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, the question asks for the ratio of reactant hydroxide ion to product bromide ion in the oxidation of OCS in strongly basic solution by bromine. The process involves drawing up a half-reaction, breaking up the hydroxide ion to provide oxygen ions, capturing the hydrogen proton with hydroxide ion, and balancing the mass and charge. The correct answer is 3:2, as determined by separating the oxidation and reduction half-reactions.
Qube
Gold Member
1) Question:

Consider the oxidation of OCS in strongly basic solution by bromine. The products are carbonate ion and sulfate ion. What is the ratio of reactant hydroxide ion to product bromide ion?

2) Considerations and processes (outlined in attached picture of work but I'll rewrite them).

a) Draw up half reaction
b) We need 6 oxygen ions on the reactant side; these come from heterolytic bond clevage of the hydroxide ion.
c) Breaking up the hydroxide ion in such a fashion creates the hydrogen proton, which must be captured by the strongest base in the system at significant concentration (hydroxide ion)
d) We need more reactant HO-.
e) Reaction of hydroxide ion and hydrogen proton forms water (add to product side).
f) Achieve mass and charge balance.
g) Check results.
h) Answer does not match test's answer (also attached).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398981925.684634.jpg

http://i.minus.com/jbb20xBZGAKu2I.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I realized my mistake. I did not separate the oxidation and reduction half-reactions. Bromine is the oxidizer; the oxidizer is reduced. We need a separate 1/2 reaction for the reduction of bromine. This half reaction is easy because I did everything else right and I get 12:8 or 3:2 for the ratio of HO- to Br-. Done.

1. What are the reactants involved in an oxidation reaction?

The reactants involved in an oxidation reaction are typically oxygen and a substance that is being oxidized, such as a metal or organic compound. In some cases, other substances may also be involved as reactants, such as water or hydrogen peroxide.

2. What are the products of an oxidation reaction?

The products of an oxidation reaction depend on the specific reactants involved, but generally include oxides and/or other compounds that have gained oxygen atoms. For example, the oxidation of iron results in the formation of iron oxide, or rust.

3. How is oxidation different from reduction?

Oxidation is the process of a substance losing electrons and/or gaining oxygen atoms, while reduction is the process of a substance gaining electrons and/or losing oxygen atoms. These two processes are opposite reactions that occur simultaneously in many chemical reactions.

4. Can oxidation reactions occur without the presence of oxygen?

Yes, oxidation reactions can occur without the presence of oxygen. While oxygen is the most common oxidizing agent, there are other substances that can facilitate the transfer of electrons and result in an oxidation reaction. Some examples include halogens, such as chlorine or fluorine, and certain metals, such as iron or copper.

5. How does the rate of an oxidation reaction change with temperature?

The rate of an oxidation reaction typically increases with temperature. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the reactant molecules to collide and undergo the necessary chemical reactions. However, the exact effect of temperature on the rate of oxidation can vary depending on the specific reactants and conditions involved.