Sarah Palin: Will She Run for President in 2012?

• News
  • Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
In summary, Sarah Palin is considering running for President in 2012. She's been doing well recently, but I wasn't very impressed with what I saw from her in '08. She may have a chance, depending on whether the Tea Party endorses her. Willow Palin is also considering running, but it's unclear whether she will delete her facebook page. Levi Johnston is running for mayor of Wasilla, but it's unclear whether he will win.
CAC1001 said:
I'm not. Again, I wasn't talking about Palin's accomplishments, I was talking aobut her intelligence. I do not see how mentioning Obama's lack of accomplishments yet him being intelligent to point out that Palincan also be intelligent with lack of accomplishment, is any "troll tactic" to "deflect attention."

OK, for argument's sake, let's say she's very bright. The problem is, she *really* doesn't come across as very bright, and so much of politics is perception.

For example, when she's interviewed she is frequently asked a question that she doesn't know. So, she will throw out a mishmash of all the talking points she's ever heard, blended with all the facts she's been coached to memorize. It comes out like word salad.

I believe she's just too far gone in the eyes of the most important voters: independents.

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
OK, for argument's sake, let's say she's very bright. The problem is, she *really* doesn't come across as very bright, and so much of politics is perception.

For example, when she's interviewed she is frequently asked a question that she doesn't know. So, she will throw out a mishmash of all the talking points she's ever heard, blended with all the facts she's been coached to memorize. It comes out like word salad.

I believe she's just too far gone in the eyes of the most important voters: independents.

I agree.

Don't forget the debate where she wrote the answers in the palm of her hand.

Evo said:
Don't forget the debate where she wrote the answers in the palm of her hand.

She wrote them for a speech, but I would think that was just to remember points to speak on.

CAC1001 said:
She wrote them for a speech, but I would think that was just to remember points to speak on.
Heads of state don't write on their hands. She's not in middle school anymore.

I consider the Tea Party's focus on 2012 to be counter-productive. As a voter, I don't want campaign propaganda. I want Congress (including Tea Party Congress members) to focus on the recession.

WhoWee said:
The question might be - is the US ready for a female President? I thought Hillary tried too soon. Here is an overview of female candidates in the various 2010 elections.
http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu/fast_facts/elections/candidates_2010.php [Broken]

From the list, I think Meg Whitman would be an interesting candidate - had she won. Her support outside of CA appears to have been greater than inside the state, and people LOVE ebay.

Missing from your example is the election of President Obama. He ran from the mid-point of his freshman term, very little experience, and quite unknown - yet the voters embraced him.
Thanks for the link WW.

re Whitman, yes, people love ebay, but it seems she might be perceived as a sort of female Ross Perot. I think that average folks would tend toward Palin and away from either Clinton or Whitman.

re Obama, well, he got a LOT of exposure (both positive and negative, but mostly positive wrt what I recall -- at least that's my impression) after a certain point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Oh, I thought you were talking about Paris Hilton.
I don't think so. :smile:

Evo said:
Actually Palin's show only got that handful of viewers the first day from curiosity seekers, the next show dropped to half that already.
Ok, I didn't know that. Even so, she's still 'out there', a lot, and like it or not she seems to have made a favorable impression on lots of people.

Evo said:
Honestly, if your list about what the "right stuff" to become President of the US were true, the winner of the next American Idol would be our new President.
I'm just saying, imho, that all other things being more or less equal, then the amount of exposure is a most important factor. Of course, 'all other things' aren't equal wrt a comparison between an American Idol winner, or Paris Hilton, and Palin. She's perceived, it seems, as a serious candidate by lots of people.

Evo said:
Thomas, something you and WhoWee both failed to bring up as a quality that is mandatory for President, and why Obama won - Intelligence.
I got into trouble with that before in this thread. It's a somewhat 'nebulous' term, don't you think? Eg., we like to identify Bush as a sort of Alfred E. Neuman character, but he got elected to the Presidency ... twice. We elected Ronald Reagan (a most affable sock puppet) twice. We point to Palin's gaffs, but she was the governor of Alaska and picked as a candidate for the Vice Presidency of the United States by a major political party. As Forrest Gump would say, "stupid is as stupid does". Palin made $14 million last year, and, apparently, tens of millions of Americans think she would make a fine President.

Like it or not, Palin is a serious contender for whatever political office she might choose to, or be chosen to, run for.

ThomasT said:
Like it or not, Palin is a serious contender for whatever political office she might choose to, or be chosen to, run for.
Thankfully, the fringe she attracts are a very small fringe. If she runs in 2012, she'll have to do it as an independant, she won't get the Republican nod.

ThomasT said:
And she would make more money winning it and quitting it than she could have earned by doing the job. Anybody see a problem with that?

turbo-1 said:
And she would make more money winning it and quitting it than she could have earned by doing the job. Anybody see a problem with that?
Not sure what you mean turbo, but the OP simply asked how Palin was doing and whether she has a chance. A chance to ... what? Be a candidate for, say, the Senate or House? Sure. To win? Who knows? For the Presidency. Big question mark. To win if nominated? Bigger question mark.

How's she doing? Apparently just fine. She is 'rich' after all. And every day's a good day when you're rich.

ThomasT said:
Not sure what you mean turbo, but the OP simply asked how Palin was doing and whether she has a chance. A chance to ... what? Be a candidate for, say, the Senate or House? Sure. To win? Who knows? For the Presidency. Big question mark. To win if nominated? Bigger question mark.

How's she doing? Apparently just fine. She is 'rich' after all. And every day's a good day when you're rich.
She is famous for being famous, thanks to McCain's idiocy. She will continue to be famous for being famous as long as the American public and their media want to fluff her.

turbo-1 said:
She will continue to be famous for being famous as long as the American public and their media want to fluff her.
Well, yeah.

Evo said:
Thankfully, the fringe she attracts are a very small fringe. If she runs in 2012, she'll have to do it as an independant, she won't get the Republican nod.

I wouldn't say so. There are parts of the Republican party establishment that are terrified she could run and win the Republican Primary. IF SO however, I highly doubt she would win the General, as I do not think Independents would go for her.

I think the criticism of Palin (much like the posts in this thread) actually endears her to millions of average people.

I don't think she will be the Republican candidate. However, if she does run - and more importantly is elected - it will probably be push-back to the personal attacks by the hard Left that makes it happen. Again, IMO.

WhoWee said:
I think the criticism of Palin (much like the posts in this thread) actually endears her to millions of average people.

I don't think she will be the Republican candidate. However, if she does run - and more importantly is elected - it will probably be push-back to the personal attacks by the hard Left that makes it happen. Again, IMO.

I think that's already happened. Some of the attacks on Palin before she had a chance to demonstrate her qualifications were disgraceful. Once having started defending her honor, the defenders had put a little of themselves on the line, making it harder to admit she was a dead end candidate.

Given a fair chance for people to form an unbiased opinion of her, I think the reaction would have been similar to the reaction Harriet Miers received as a Supreme Court justice.

Palin is just a red herring. The greatest danger is that she will tempt reasonable people to think that an unreasonable politician is good by comparison.

Bull Killgore said:
Palin is just a red herring. The greatest danger is that she will tempt reasonable people to think that an unreasonable politician is good by comparison.

Care to elaborate - and welcome to the PF.

WhoWee said:
Care to elaborate - and welcome to the PF.

I mean that there is very little danger that she herself will be elected, but the bigger problem is that she normalizes an uncomfortable degree of craziness in American politics.

Although she's hardly the first one to do so.

And yeah thanks for the welcome. I posted here first when I realized that as a first year uni student I wouldn't really know what I was talking about in the science threads. Maybe in 4 years.

Bull Killgore said:
I mean that there is very little danger that she herself will be elected, but the bigger problem is that she normalizes an uncomfortable degree of craziness in American politics.

Although she's hardly the first one to do so.

And yeah thanks for the welcome. I posted here first when I realized that as a first year uni student I wouldn't really know what I was talking about in the science threads. Maybe in 4 years.
Hi ... Bull? What's a first year uni student? I have no formal education in physics but have read (1) David Bohm's Quantum Theory textbook, (2) Rodney Louden's Quantum Theory of Light textbook, and (3) somebody's textbook on Fourier Analysis, so I'm in your camp. I think. Personally, I love Sarah Palin. Publically, I will deny any knowledge of her. And, of course, I'm voting for either Nader or Zappa. Wait, Zappa's dead. Ok, whoever.

Last edited:
ThomasT said:
Personally, I love Sarah Palin. Publically, I will deny any knowledge of her.

I've repeatedly heard similar quips in my travels.

<h2>1. Will Sarah Palin run for president in 2012?</h2><p>As a scientist, I cannot predict the future actions of individuals. However, Sarah Palin has stated in the past that she is considering a run for president in 2012.</p><h2>2. What are the chances of Sarah Palin running for president in 2012?</h2><p>Again, as a scientist, I cannot accurately determine the probability of Sarah Palin running for president in 2012. It ultimately depends on her personal decision and the political landscape at that time.</p><h2>3. Has Sarah Palin officially announced her candidacy for president in 2012?</h2><p>No, Sarah Palin has not officially announced her candidacy for president in 2012. However, she has expressed interest and has not ruled out the possibility.</p><h2>4. What factors may influence Sarah Palin's decision to run for president in 2012?</h2><p>There are many potential factors that may influence Sarah Palin's decision, such as her personal ambitions, political support, and the state of the country at that time. Ultimately, only Sarah Palin can determine her reasons for running or not running for president.</p><h2>5. When will Sarah Palin make a decision about running for president in 2012?</h2><p>There is no set timeline for when Sarah Palin will make a decision about running for president in 2012. It could happen at any point leading up to the election, or she may ultimately decide not to run at all.</p>

1. Will Sarah Palin run for president in 2012?

As a scientist, I cannot predict the future actions of individuals. However, Sarah Palin has stated in the past that she is considering a run for president in 2012.

2. What are the chances of Sarah Palin running for president in 2012?

Again, as a scientist, I cannot accurately determine the probability of Sarah Palin running for president in 2012. It ultimately depends on her personal decision and the political landscape at that time.

3. Has Sarah Palin officially announced her candidacy for president in 2012?

No, Sarah Palin has not officially announced her candidacy for president in 2012. However, she has expressed interest and has not ruled out the possibility.

4. What factors may influence Sarah Palin's decision to run for president in 2012?

There are many potential factors that may influence Sarah Palin's decision, such as her personal ambitions, political support, and the state of the country at that time. Ultimately, only Sarah Palin can determine her reasons for running or not running for president.

5. When will Sarah Palin make a decision about running for president in 2012?

There is no set timeline for when Sarah Palin will make a decision about running for president in 2012. It could happen at any point leading up to the election, or she may ultimately decide not to run at all.